Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

if you knew your family (my mother and little sister) did not like the man you were with, the one you are going to marry, or already have, how would you react when they visited? 

I sent my fiance out of the house today while my mother is here. I dont think its fair for him to have to feel uncomfortable in his own home because he knows she doesnt like him. (she told him to his face after he found out behind his back). He was happy to leave the house. LOL

I know my mother will call him a coward and that hes not putting effort in, but i dont expect him to do that. I would hate to be around someone who doesn't like me knowing they are just being fake.. 

im hoping she doesnt say anything cause i might go off. 

Am i doing the wrong thing? should i have had him stay? im dreading her coming! 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:11 AM

nobody that didn't live in my house would have a say who is there when they visit. if my family doesn't like who i am, with feel free to not come over. 

your poor fiance. he now knows that you would choose your crazy over him. 

Momyplease
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM
my sister dont like any of my husband or boyfriend ever. but she dont act ugly to them.I don't make any special arrangements for them. if they want to see you they gonna have to act civil.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I wouldn't marry someone that my parents couldn't be in the same room with.
SpiritedWitch
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM

If they are going to be childish (constantly talking shit about and to him) about it they would be told they were not welcomed in my home or my life because it is VERY disrespectful to both you and him. 

BlessedBeX3
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

he shouldnt have to leave HIS home to feel comfortable, maybe next time you visit at her place. Its not fair to him ya know?

BlessedBeX3
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM

what if you loved him with every fiber of  your being and they didn't like him. I know families should stick together, but families should also accept the person their child falls in love with unless that person is horrible and does bad things ya know?

My sister doesn't like my husband, but she's just plain out horrible herself and my dh has been nothing but kind to her. I dont even talk to my sister or her husband anymore bc they are so negative and just plain out make me uncomfortable as shit to be around. Id pick my dh over my sister anyday.

Quoting christina0607:

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have had him stay and if she couldnt be nice and relaxed, SHE would leave

davnrori
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I wouldn't let my mom come over for the exact reason that you put out there. He shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable in his own home. I would also let my mom know that she has to put in as much effort into building a relationship with my DH as she's expecting from him because he's going to be in my life whether she likes it or not. I would also tell her that if it comes down to a choice between my mom and the father of my children, she's not going to like the outcome. My mom doesn't emotionally support me (in the same way my spouse does), she doesn't provide for me, I haven't built a life with her, and I'm not expecting to be partners with her for the rest of my life. My mom did her job and now she needs to take a backseat.

christina0607
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Love is not always enough. I would not be willing to give up my family. 

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

what if you loved him with every fiber of  your being and they didn't like him. I know families should stick together, but families should also accept the person their child falls in love with unless that person is horrible and does bad things ya know?

My sister doesn't like my husband, but she's just plain out horrible herself and my dh has been nothing but kind to her. I dont even talk to my sister or her husband anymore bc they are so negative and just plain out make me uncomfortable as shit to be around. Id pick my dh over my sister anyday.

Quoting christina0607:

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

BlessedBeX3
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

hmm well i think a family should be accepting of a man that their child is deeply in love with and set aside petty differences

Quoting christina0607:

Love is not always enough. I would not be willing to give up my family. 

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

Quoting christina0607:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)