Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

if you knew your family (my mother and little sister) did not like the man you were with, the one you are going to marry, or already have, how would you react when they visited? 

I sent my fiance out of the house today while my mother is here. I dont think its fair for him to have to feel uncomfortable in his own home because he knows she doesnt like him. (she told him to his face after he found out behind his back). He was happy to leave the house. LOL

I know my mother will call him a coward and that hes not putting effort in, but i dont expect him to do that. I would hate to be around someone who doesn't like me knowing they are just being fake.. 

im hoping she doesnt say anything cause i might go off. 

Am i doing the wrong thing? should i have had him stay? im dreading her coming! 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Replies (31-35):
christina0607
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM

There is probably a very good reason they don't like him. She says no one in her family likes him...sounds like a huge red flag to me. I don't feel anyone should be accepted simply based on the fact that they are there. sorry. 

Quoting BlessedBeX3 

hmm well i think a family should be accepting of a man that their child is deeply in love with and set aside petty differences

Quoting christina0607:

Love is not always enough. I would not be willing to give up my family. 

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

what if you loved him with every fiber of  your being and they didn't like him. I know families should stick together, but families should also accept the person their child falls in love with unless that person is horrible and does bad things ya know?

My sister doesn't like my husband, but she's just plain out horrible herself and my dh has been nothing but kind to her. I dont even talk to my sister or her husband anymore bc they are so negative and just plain out make me uncomfortable as shit to be around. Id pick my dh over my sister anyday.

Quoting christina0607:

I wouldn't marry someone that my parents couldn't be in the same room with.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

HarrisFamily740
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Thats how my mom treats my soon to be step daughter.. I hate it... UGHH 

Quoting Kara242:

my mother in law doesnt like me or my kids(her grandkids) I was married once before and had my oldest dd. Mil didnt like that I came with baggage and sucked her son in. She wasnt ready to be a grandma when we got married and my dd was 4 and I was prego with dd#2. She still doesnt act like a grandma to my kids.

HarrisFamily740
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

i know the reason my family doesnt like him... and your saying that because of that i shouldnt be with him?? 

My family doesnt like him because he doesnt talk about our sex life, our finaces, or anything that is non of thier business. My family is nosey. I think it depends on the type of family a person has. If he treats you and or your children well then say screw off to the family.. they dont have to live with them. 

My family sees what he is like when they are around, they have stabbed him in the back from the min we ot together. They dont see him, snuggling up on the couch watching movies with me and the kids, or the fact that i work late and he feeds them, bathes them and puts them to bed. they also dont see that we are happy together. They see what they want to see.. 

Quoting christina0607:

There is probably a very good reason they don't like him. She says no one in her family likes him...sounds like a huge red flag to me. I don't feel anyone should be accepted simply based on the fact that they are there. sorry. 

Quoting BlessedBeX3 

hmm well i think a family should be accepting of a man that their child is deeply in love with and set aside petty differences

Quoting christina0607:

Love is not always enough. I would not be willing to give up my family. 

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

what if you loved him with every fiber of  your being and they didn't like him. I know families should stick together, but families should also accept the person their child falls in love with unless that person is horrible and does bad things ya know?

My sister doesn't like my husband, but she's just plain out horrible herself and my dh has been nothing but kind to her. I dont even talk to my sister or her husband anymore bc they are so negative and just plain out make me uncomfortable as shit to be around. Id pick my dh over my sister anyday.

Quoting christina0607:

I wouldn't marry someone that my parents couldn't be in the same room with.

christina0607
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Quoting HarrisFamily740:

I didn't say you shouldn't be with him. I don't really care what you do. Your question was what would "I" do. And "I" wouldn't be with anyone who I had to hide from my family.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

CrystalPystol
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I don't know what I would have done. I've never had that issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)