Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Half day or full day?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 122 Replies
Which do you prefer? Ds goes to full day kindergarten and loves it. He gets a good balance of math, reading, science and social studies plus has time to work with the special education teacher per his IEP. I've heard half day kindergarten either focuses on reading or math but doesn't have time for both. What do y'all think? Which is more beneficial?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I think full day is better since the requirements have changed. There can't possibly be enough time for them to meet all the requirements in a half day class. Both my children have attended full day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krise
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

We did both. My oldest at her grade school they only had half day. My youngest at the same school 4yrs later started to do full day. dealing with both I have to say I loved full day so much better!!! it gave them more time to be with their friends, have lunch, do more school work and have more time in the classroom. 

.Nobody.
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Full.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM

My two oldest daughters went to a public school that had half-day kindergarten.  They got plenty of reading and math....and science, art, music, gym, library, etc.

My younger three kids went to a private school that had full-day kindergarten.  They spent half the day doing reading, math, science, etc in English and the other half of the day doing reading, prayers, writing, etc in Hebrew.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Full day! Granted that has been our only kindergarten experience, but I really like it for my DD and she loves school. I love what full day offers them! Not only do they get adequate time for gym, art, computers/library but they are also learning Spanish in addition to the usual math, reading, writing, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

We have no choice for our district and it is full day.  DD loved it .  Wednesday are early release so the whole elementary school gets out early.  We are one of the few in the state that does full day as everyone else is slowly transitioning into it.  I think the children are able to learn more and bring home less work.

deadlights86
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Full day. I wish my son could go to school full day he's in the second grade but they school doesn't want to and won't deal with him that long.

rmfanfgljf
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

full day is more beneficial, you honeslty cannot expect your kid to learn a full day's worth or work in 3 hours.

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Full

seemommyrun
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

That happened with my son too, and he's at a private school.  It's hard, isn't it?

Quoting deadlights86:

Full day. I wish my son could go to school full day he's in the second grade but they school doesn't want to and won't deal with him that long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)