Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

taxes and getting paid under the table??!!

Posted by   + Show Post

So if a person gets paid under the table and the employer refuses to give them a 1099-T (I think that's what its called) how do you go about paying/filing taxes?

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Replies (41-50):
KMAsMommy9182
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Isn't the whole point of getting paid under the table to not pay taxes?

tansyflower
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM

lol usually.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

Isn't the whole point of getting paid under the table to not pay taxes?

honeybee69
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM

You file it as a schedule c for a small business. I use to babysit, I claimed every dime I made! If the parents wanted a receipt that was fine with me because I did claim it all. Filing as a business you can take alot more deductions. I used pretty much my whole house, my car, etc for the business so a portion was deducted. My husband also runs his own business and has for 10 yrs. I still have a small business online, so I file for my business and dh's. I do have a full time job now too. 

I use turbo tax and have not had to be audited at all. Actually once for the state I did. We were getting medicaid at the time and the did a sting operation on all self employed people. I brought in all my documents, bank statements etc. We passed their aduit some 3 hours worth of searching. 

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Since you were there for 17 months how did you do your taxes last year? You were there for 5 to 6 months before the end of the year. Is this a new thing they started doing?

kansasmom1978
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM
You file taxes if it is under the table and it is illegal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kjms99
by Julie on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM

How is that an excuse, it is what it is!!!!  gotta work to take care of the kid!!!!

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Ahhh. The "single parent" excuse...

Quoting kjms99:

well considering Im a single parent andit was the only job I could find and I didnt want to go on PA I thought it would be ok!

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

If you had wanted to "do the right thing" you wouldn't have worked for them to begin with. 

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM
3 moms liked this

You don't. Thats the point of getting paid under the table.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Lol that's what I was thinking.
I pay my DCP under the table. She gives me a fabulous rate, I keep her from getting taxed. :P

Quoting SupermarketMama:

What...ur crazy as hell you been workiing under the table and you wanna pay taxes?! ....chile please .....wouldn't be me ...now let the bashing begin
Katt709
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:19 PM
File as self employed and claim all that they paid you. That's all that you need to do. Since you didn't pay throughout the year you'll owe money and probably a penalty since your supposed to pay quarterly when self employed.
Chanel5nyc
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Do not file this year. It might be a messy situation. Just get a real job this year and file taxes next year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN