Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone live in NYC?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

Can you tell me what you like and dislike about living in New York city?  

Bang for your buck?  What kind of apartment do you get for your money?  

We're looking at the possibility of living there and I'm wondering what we might expect.  

I'd ask my BIL, who lives there now, but he's an idiot.

Thanks for any info.  ;-)

"If there is a God, why did he make me an Atheist?" - Ricky Gervais
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
inspain
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM

BUMP!

TheMeanestMom
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:32 PM
It's the most expensive place to live in the country. Bang for your buck... My cousin has an apartment near Central Park uptown she pays $1700 for a studio!! She's on the 5th floor and its a walk up! No elevators, no doorman. She does have new paint and nice wood floors but the stove has 2 burners and the fridge is the size of the kind you find in hotels. Of you sit on bed you can put you rest your feet on the kitchen table. its teenie.

My other cousin lives in midtown and pays $3500 for her 2 bedroom. She has an elevator and a doorman. She also has a roommate so I'm not sure if 3500 is her portion or if that's the total.

Is Brooklyn an option? It's more family friendly and a bit more reasonable than manhattan.

I grew up in NJ, just an hour bus ride into the city, or 40 minutes on the ferry. Did he get a job there? A lot of people commute from Jersey. How many kids do you have? I imagine it would be really hard to live there with kids!

All that said I would LOVE to live in NYC. I told my husband I want to retire there :) he better get rich quick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SupermarketMama
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM
If you're not rich...DON'T move here. The quality of life isn't worth it. The apartments are SUPER small. Expect to pay atleast $1500 a month for a studio or 1 bedroom OUTSIDE of Manhattan....

However....I live just lovely :)...I got super lucky ..Some people wait years to get into Nycha..I got in within months...I have a big 2 bedroom in one of the nicest developments they have available. All utilities included...no pests or rodents. My neighbors are quiet..at night you hear crickets...Very safe area...we love the huge park in our neighborhood and the community center is wonderful.

I love where I live and I love my apartment...I don't have a tiny little crap apartment like most would imagine people in NYC who aren't rich live in.

No complaints....The only thing I HATE about NYC is the crazy people on the subway and the loud ghetto people everywhere on public transportation. I've seen WAY too many fights... I hate riding the subway . I hate sitting next to random people. Its so trashy. I can't stand it anymore. I will have a car no later than April and I can't wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SupermarketMama
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Oh and if you do manage to snag a $1500 1 bedroom or studio outside of manhattan...expect mice,roaches and rats galore. The place will be deplorable. While I was apartment hunting..you would NOT believe the places I've seen. It was terrible horrible ....thank God I got a call from nycha shortly afterwards. I gave up all hope ...I can't believe people live like that ..those places were so disgusting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlohaTink
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM
And all of the above is why I love living in Tennessee. But good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I lived there for 10 years and loved it.  It's awesome - so much fun, always something to do, something interesting to see... you never feel like you have to go anywhere - you are where it's at.

It's much easier to live outside of the city once you have kids.  So, when my 1st was born, we moved right outside of NYC - in Hoboken NJ.  We had a great view of NYC from across the Hudson and the ferry boats and path trains run frequently to take you into the city.  As far as apartments go, you get a lot more for your money outside of NYC.  There were lots of family friendly activities in Hoboken, too - lots of fun!:)

When my oldest turned 3, we moved into the suburbs of NJ - about 30 mins from NYC.  My husband still commutes into the city everyday - just like the rest of our town and all of the towns around here!

Once my kids get bigger, I hope to get a place in the city again!  I love it there!!

TresHijas111825
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I was born and raised in NYC. I live just north of the City now in Westchester County. I'm a 15-30 minute drive from Midtown depending on the time of day. Living in Manhattan is beyond expensive, things that people take for granted in other places are considerd luxuries here-washer/dryer IN your apartment, dishwashers, parking-places that include these things AND enough bedrooms for a family are minimum 4,000 per month. If you are willing to forgo some of these luxuries and/or live in one of the outer boroughs or suburbs you can can certainly spend considerably less and afford considerably more.

Boroughs/ Neighborhoods to consider outside of Manhattan:

Riverdale in the Bronx

Astoria and Forest Hills in Queens

Inwood/ Washington Heights in Manhattan

I'm not to great w/ Brooklyn or Staten Island but I here Bayside  Bayridge in Brooklyn is nice.

Good Luck! I love NYC and if I could afford to live in Manhattan, I would in a heart beat!!! I don't want to ever live more than an hour from NYC. =)

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I live in NYC (born and raised) and can not imagine myself anywhere else. I have everything at my fingertips and love raising my children among all cultures. 

Living here is not for everyone, that is for sure.

I look at real estate in other parts of the country and can't believe what I could get for my money elsewhere! That is a major downside.

inspain
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Thank you for all the info!  Especially that link.  

NYC is one of many possibilities over the next year.  Honestly, I don't care where we end up, as long as we're out of Central America.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)