Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Best soup ever!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
I had a leftover chicken in the fridge that was basically just carcass with some tiny bits of meat. I made stock with it and after it had fallen apart I picked off the remaining meat and discarded the bones and cartilage I sautéed 2 onions, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 stalks of celery, half a red bell, a handful of chopped baby carrots and a large turnip in some butter. Then I added a little bacon fat ;). I also threw in about a half cup of lentils. I added the stock back ad well as a can of coconut milk and the chicken and seasoned with curry powder salt, pepper, a little chili powder and let it cook.

When it was done it was pretty good. I added a plop of spicy guacamole. I know that probably sounds gross but I swear it was delicious! Dh ate 4 bowls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2boys03
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM

When we have a turkey I keep the bones and make soup out of that.  That does sound very good.

Bax
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. Not my "cup of tea". There are very few things that I really dislike but it just so happens 3 of them, lentils, coconut milk, and curry powder were in your soup!  But I could see my son eating it, he loves that flavor combination.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM

That sounds like kitchen sink soup or rock soup LOL  you put whatever you find into a soup pan.  I am glad you guys enjoyed it.

Aivlys_
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM
It sounds really good, minus the bacon fat! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

homemade chicken stock is like liquid gold, isn't it?

i buy the leq quarters when they go on sale and make a huge batch with 10 lbs of it, boil the living daylights out of it for a few hours(by then the meat is dog food, like saw dust) put it in 1 qt freezer bags and freeze

so i usually have gold in the bank, LOL

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Dh wanted that added. We eat very low carb and needed a little extra fat in that meal.

Quoting Aivlys_:

It sounds really good, minus the bacon fat! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I will never go back to store bought stock. It's not even close! I usually have a gallon or so in the freezer at any given time.

Quoting ninipanini:

i buy the leq quarters when they go on sale and make a huge batch with 10 lbs of it, boil the living daylights out of it for a few hours(by then the meat is dog food, like saw dust) put it in 1 qt freezer bags and freeze

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saraface5383
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM
How long do you boil the meat to make stock? Is it actually boiling or simmering?

Quoting ninipanini:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM

That does sound good!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)