Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I had a leftover chicken in the fridge that was basically just carcass with some tiny bits of meat. I made stock with it and after it had fallen apart I picked off the remaining meat and discarded the bones and cartilage I sautéed 2 onions, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 stalks of celery, half a red bell, a handful of chopped baby carrots and a large turnip in some butter. Then I added a little bacon fat ;). I also threw in about a half cup of lentils. I added the stock back ad well as a can of coconut milk and the chicken and seasoned with curry powder salt, pepper, a little chili powder and let it cook.

When it was done it was pretty good. I added a plop of spicy guacamole. I know that probably sounds gross but I swear it was delicious! Dh ate 4 bowls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Replies (11-15):
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM

i bring it to full rolling boil then turn it down to medium and let it bubble for 3 or 4  hours, the meat is useless after this since all of the flavor has gone into the water

i use a 10 lb bag of quarter and a 20 qt stock pot, it takes awhile but once it gets going you don't really have to babysit it at all

Quoting saraface5383:

How long do you boil the meat to make stock? Is it actually boiling or simmering?

Quoting ninipanini:

homemade chicken stock is like liquid gold, isn't it?

i buy the leq quarters when they go on sale and make a huge batch with 10 lbs of it, boil the living daylights out of it for a few hours(by then the meat is dog food, like saw dust) put it in 1 qt freezer bags and freeze

so i usually have gold in the bank, LOL

saraface5383
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Thank you! I always need specifics lol

Quoting ninipanini:

i bring it to full rolling boil then turn it down to medium and let it bubble for 3 or 4  hours, the meat is useless after this since all of the flavor has gone into the water

i use a 10 lb bag of quarter and a 20 qt stock pot, it takes awhile but once it gets going you don't really have to babysit it at all

Quoting saraface5383:

How long do you boil the meat to make stock? Is it actually boiling or simmering?

Quoting ninipanini:

i buy the leq quarters when they go on sale and make a huge batch with 10 lbs of it, boil the living daylights out of it for a few hours(by then the meat is dog food, like saw dust) put it in 1 qt freezer bags and freeze

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcarsel89
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Have you ever heard of Weston A Price/Nourishing Traditions Cookbook/Whole foods? I made a group on cafe mom all about whole foods eating and cooking. Please come join! Anyone who uses bacon fat and avacado in soup is awesome. I bet that was amazing!

Just search Weston A. Price or basically any of those three phrases and it will come up. Hope to see you there! We need more members!!

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM
I put the carcass in a big pot and filled it most of the way with water. Then I cooked it for 4 hours on medium-low. For the last hour I added an onion ;).

Quoting saraface5383:

Quoting ninipanini:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM
We eat primal. So that's pretty close. It was so good we just about cried, lol.

Quoting mcarsel89:

Have you ever heard of Weston A Price/Nourishing Traditions Cookbook/Whole foods? I made a group on cafe mom all about whole foods eating and cooking. Please come join! Anyone who uses bacon fat and avacado in soup is awesome. I bet that was amazing!

Just search Weston A. Price or basically any of those three phrases and it will come up. Hope to see you there! We need more members!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN