Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Watching my father die, need company

Posted by   + Show Post

Or maybe a good argument to keep my mind occupied. I flew into Boston from Poemix with my five year old son. My mom and half brother picked us up at the airport and we came straight to the hospital. As recently as this morning they thought he had a couple of weeks.  When I called to tell my mom my plane was delayed she told me he had less than 24 hours.   So we came straight from the airport. They stayed a little while and then went home. I'm spending the night in his room.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Replies (21-30):
yezay
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I'm on the other side in Quincy. That sucks its always more peaceful when people can pass at home.

Quoting demonica29:

Where at?  Looks like I'm going to have plenty of time to just hang since my flight back isn't until next Sunday. I came because he was supposed to be discharged to hospice tomorrow or tuesday and I wanted to help him make that difficult transition. All different now, the nurse say he knows I'm there but whatever.  I'm at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, which oddly enough isnt in Lawrence but rather in Malden or Medford or one of those M towns I always get mixed up.

Quoting yezay:

I'm sorry you're going through that. I'm right outside of Boston if you need anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
little911
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM

So Sorry Momma (HUGS)

DrownTheClown
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Im sorry momma. I will say though, you seem to have a good heart. Although your dad wasnt a good man(from your account of him) you still believe he shouldnt die alone. I hope someone else can keep your mind off things at the hospital. I cant stick around and chat. Gotta get a child off to school and 2 sick kiddos to tend too. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rjsmommy214
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I'm sorry. I know it's not the same but I watched my Nana(grandmother) die in November. It was my first time being with someone while they passed away, but I know she was happy we were all there for her. She knew she was loved.

Dora-rulz
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM
I am so sorry! I watched my grandma, fil & my sd pass. None of it was easy but still not the same as your father. Wish I could be there but I'm way down in TX. Stay strong & know that we are praying for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amy31308
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM
At the nursing home I used to work at we had a guy like that. Drug abuser, abusive, truly just psychotic at times. His wife and kids left him and never looked back. Only person he had was his 95 yr old Aunt who couldn't even come visit. He would act a fool just to get Haldol and Ativan to knock himself out. He was on a lock down unit because of how crazy he'd act not bc of a form of dementia.

Well when he died, he died alone with no family. Well he had a hospice aid but no family. He died with his middle fingers up. It was so him. Lol

Quoting demonica29:

This sucks. My father was an alcoholic, prescription drug addict, abusive son of a bitch. He was awful to both of his ex-wives and all three of us kids. I didn't think his passing would affect me so much. Is sure as hell doesn't seem to affect my brother or sister.  She lives in Boston and hasn't been to see him at all my brother flew in Friday night and came for about an hour yesterday and maybe 20 minutes when they brought me here. I know everybody deals with things different'y. But he is our father, all of ours. And nobody, NOBODY deserves to die alone. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy31308
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I'm sorry about your father btw
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
demonica29
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Hospice is coming to talk to me today. That will be better...if he's still alive. Medical opinions seem to differ on that. 

Quoting yezay:

I'm on the other side in Quincy. That sucks its always more peaceful when people can pass at home.

Quoting demonica29:

Where at?  Looks like I'm going to have plenty of time to just hang since my flight back isn't until next Sunday. I came because he was supposed to be discharged to hospice tomorrow or tuesday and I wanted to help him make that difficult transition. All different now, the nurse say he knows I'm there but whatever.  I'm at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, which oddly enough isnt in Lawrence but rather in Malden or Medford or one of those M towns I always get mixed up.

Quoting yezay:

I'm sorry you're going through that. I'm right outside of Boston if you need anything.

demonica29
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I am so freaking exhausted. I got very little sleep last night. The stupid recliner s-l-o-w-l-y comes back to the upright position if you don't have your weight positioned just right. It feels like I'm sleeping in a Venus fly trap.   Hospice nurse left me a message she was coming this afternoon but I called her and she said she could be here in 20 minutes.  Then I wait for the doc.  

People fully then I can goth my moms house and get some much needed rest. The hardest part right now is balancing between my dying father and my five year old son. My mom said that he never actually cried last night, but his eyes welled up a few times when he to,d her how much he wanted mom. 

autiemama516
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Wow! I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)