Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Watching my father die, need company

Posted by   + Show Post

Or maybe a good argument to keep my mind occupied. I flew into Boston from Poemix with my five year old son. My mom and half brother picked us up at the airport and we came straight to the hospital. As recently as this morning they thought he had a couple of weeks.  When I called to tell my mom my plane was delayed she told me he had less than 24 hours.   So we came straight from the airport. They stayed a little while and then went home. I'm spending the night in his room.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Replies (41-50):
cjsix
by faith on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Momma,nearly seven years ago I was right where you are now. I had just arrived at the hospital with my kids to say goodbye to my Dad. My Dad who just a week and a half earlier was told had three to six months...suddenly he had a couple days. When I found out that no one was staying with my Dad at the hospital,I stayed...one of the hardest,yet best things I have ever done...I will never regret doing it. If you want to talk I'll be here Momma...I am so sorry that you are having to say goodbye.

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I opened a new bar of soap last night. It's a good air freshener but it makes my skin feel like a rubber band. I think I'm going to get one of the bars in my closet that's a different brand and try that one. I hate doing that though because it feels wasteful.
But I hate feeling like I've been wrapped in a condom. Acceptable distraction?

Also, I'm very sorry for your situation. I didn't get to see my grandfather before he passed and it eats at me a bit now and then. Hugs and prayers. Or thoughts if prayer offends you. Or no hugs if touching people offends you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by faith on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM

demonica,he does know you are there...I promise you he does. talk to him,tell him all the things you wish you had. He may surprize you and wake up even if just for a bit,even if he doesn't...he knows you are there and that you love him.

Quoting demonica29:

Where at?  Looks like I'm going to have plenty of time to just hang since my flight back isn't until next Sunday. I came because he was supposed to be discharged to hospice tomorrow or tuesday and I wanted to help him make that difficult transition. All different now, the nurse say he knows I'm there but whatever.  I'm at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, which oddly enough isnt in Lawrence but rather in Malden or Medford or one of those M towns I always get mixed up.

Quoting yezay:

I'm sorry you're going through that. I'm right outside of Boston if you need anything.

ilana_ny
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I'm sorry. I lost my father at 15yo. It doenst get easier. Every day I think of him. I didn't have a chance to say goodbye. Never had a chance to tell him that I lived hm. You have that chance, please don't waist it.
Stay strong.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ihave1
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM

So sorry been there done htat.   

baseballmom5416
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM

i am so sorry..ive been there.

kiowaqueen
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

:( im sorry

boys2men2soon
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I'm sorry.   I've been there.   Like you, I seem to be the go to Florence Nightengale in my family.  

lovemyirish
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I know how you feel. We just lost my ex mil Saturday morning. We where devastated. We thought we had a litttle longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ihave1
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:47 PM

my father called my Aunt (his sister) & told her he had three month is left.  I was staying /w my Aunt in Iowa to finish high school.  She got off the phone and told me to pack we drove down to Louisiana   18hour dirve Got there then later that night he had a seizure. The only time I 've ever saw him cry was when my mother & I were on either side of him in the ER  he was begging us to get along.   The next day a Hospes(sp?) nurse came & said it lookedlike  he had about a week left to live.  He died that night.I miss him so much that was in 1999. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)