Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

cost of birth control

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM
  • 12 Replies
So right now I have 2 different insurance. One from dh work and one with medicaid... they "have" to give it to us till may. Well anyways. The medicaid covers for my birth control pills.. today dh just found out that his insurance will not cover birth controll pills or to tie the tubes... he gets insurance through a hospital. Its a catholic hospital so that's why....

So my question for the moms who have to pay for your birth control and do not have insurance what form do you use and how much?? I could go to a planned parent hood but id think we would have to pay full price. Dh said full price for pills is 150.. 150 we can not afford a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlohaTink
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Generic ortho cyclen and ortho tri cyclen is 9 dollars at Walmart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dewh2007
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Are they over the counter and they actually work? That I can afford lol... I'm limited on bc too... can not do patches. Can not do the nuva ring.. can not do the depo. So pretty much pills and maybe iud? I don't know if I want to chance it though...

Quoting AlohaTink:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlohaTink
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:24 AM
They're prescription. There are no OTC birth control pills. I'm kind of in the same boat as you in regards to what type I can use but I can't do hormonal bc either. My mom had uterine cancer so all I can do is the copper coil or what I currently use which is condoms and the rhythm method.

Quoting dewh2007:

Are they over the counter and they actually work? That I can afford lol... I'm limited on bc too... can not do patches. Can not do the nuva ring.. can not do the depo. So pretty much pills and maybe iud? I don't know if I want to chance it though...

Quoting AlohaTink:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-KJ
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Even through planned parenthood you might get them discounted, depending on your dh pay. Either way mine are under $20 for 3 months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dewh2007
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Do you go to planned parent hood? Also dh and I both work full time so that's what I'm just worried about. I don't want to go there then be told have to pay full amount..closes pph is like half hour away from me..

Quoting -KJ:

Even through planned parenthood you might get them discounted, depending on your dh pay. Either way mine are under $20 for 3 months.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dewh2007
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Ill have to look into that but idk if even the dr will write something out for it because he works with the hospital.. :(.. I'm just kinda freaked about it all.. also will sound stupid lol but what is the rhythm method? Lol

Quoting AlohaTink:

They're prescription. There are no OTC birth control pills. I'm kind of in the same boat as you in regards to what type I can use but I can't do hormonal bc either. My mom had uterine cancer so all I can do is the copper coil or what I currently use which is condoms and the rhythm method.

Quoting dewh2007:

Quoting AlohaTink:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:33 AM
I know lo estren 24 has a generic that is cheap with out insurance but I can't remember how much it is you could call the pharmacy and ask. Also alot of times if ou let your ob know they will give u extra samples or discount coupons too. ( dh company screwed up my ins last year so I didn't have any and my ob did that for me)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-KJ
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:33 AM
You could call and ask for the paperwork to be mailed to you...and ask how much pills are full price. I use a generic pill and they're cheap! My dh and I both work.

Quoting dewh2007:

Do you go to planned parent hood? Also dh and I both work full time so that's what I'm just worried about. I don't want to go there then be told have to pay full amount..closes pph is like half hour away from me..

Quoting -KJ:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AlohaTink
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Natural family planning. I track my periods to get my fertile and non fertile days and then we use condoms on my fertile days.

Quoting dewh2007:

Ill have to look into that but idk if even the dr will write something out for it because he works with the hospital.. :(.. I'm just kinda freaked about it all.. also will sound stupid lol but what is the rhythm method? Lol

Quoting AlohaTink:

Quoting dewh2007:

Quoting AlohaTink:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gregheather
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Doctors will still write a script for BC - Walmart has a couple on their $4 list.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)