Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Almost had a dog "get us" yesterday

Posted by   + Show Post

Most of the people we know here who have dogs tell us that they didn't find the dog...the dog found them.  It seems like 90% of them had a dog follow them home and it just never left.....9% got a puppy from a neighbor who had a pregnant dog follow them home....and the last 1% brought a dog with them when they moved here.

Last night DD#2 was out with friends.  When she got home - she said that a dog followed her home.  Not just to the street by our house - but up the stairs and was sitting by the front door.  I went out there expecting to see a small dog (not sure why...but that is what I pictured).  What I found was a fully-grown pale-yellow dog that appeared to be a Labrador retriever!  LOL
It got scared when I went outside but instead of running toward the front of the house...the only way to leave our yard -- it ran up the back hill.  I didn't want to make it feel cornered -- so we went back inside.  It was gone when we went back out.  I'm half-expecting to see it again soon.

I'm not sure if it was a male or female...didn't get that close.  LOL  It definitely didn't have a collar - and looked pretty straggly.  Had a big splotch of mud on its one shoulder.  DD said it seemed friendly enough.  Though she didn't pet it.  She said she tried to 'loose' it by speeding up her walking-speed...but it just started jogging to keep up with her.  She was shocked it followed her up the stairs (we have a long, winding staircase leading up to the house). 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Replies (11-17):
Momyplease
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:09 PM
wow where you live that there isn't any of those things? You don't have to actually tell me where you live. Im just surprised.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting EsmeVincent:

I've never had a dog follow me home before...but its good she dent freak out or pet it or feed it. If it comes back I would call animal control or a no kill shelter and see if its chipped and if the owner is looking for their dog

I don't think there is any animal control here.  There certainly aren't any shelters anywhere near-by.  But if he comes back I can call our vet and ask his advice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM

lol she is in isreal

Quoting Momyplease:

wow where you live that there isn't any of those things? You don't have to actually tell me where you live. Im just surprised.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting EsmeVincent:

I've never had a dog follow me home before...but its good she dent freak out or pet it or feed it. If it comes back I would call animal control or a no kill shelter and see if its chipped and if the owner is looking for their dog

I don't think there is any animal control here.  There certainly aren't any shelters anywhere near-by.  But if he comes back I can call our vet and ask his advice.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I live in a small town in northern Israel. :-)

Quoting Momyplease:

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Momyplease
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM
wow :-) quite a ways dear.
when I lived back home in Hungary I had 3 dogs all fallowed me home. And my parents were never home so I could keep them. at list I was not home alone. Made a huge differents when I was first grader.
Quoting D.O.E.:

lol she is in isreal

Quoting Momyplease:

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gorilla_Mama
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM
The dogs in my neighborhood walk themselves too. Including ours. We live more in the county and all the dogs are friendly so we just open the door and let him out. He sticks around for the most part and he barks when he wants back in. Technically we have leash laws but no one complains because everyone does it.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Are wandering stray dogs that common there?

Stray dogs don't really seem 'common' (stray cats are EVERYWHERE though).  But there seem to be enough that they just find a home and adopt the people.

The REALLY odd thing here is that most of the dogs walk themselves.  You will see dogs with collars....some even with nice, clean coats on in the cool weather, out walking the streets.  They seem to take their walks at the same times each day....then they head back home.  I have seen a few people walking their dogs ole ashes....but most dogs take care of walking themselves.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM
The vet may be able to check and se if the dog is chipped...maybe you can check to see where the closest humain society is and call there

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
OH! Well then the vet is the safest bet then...I hope that if it comes back you can find its owners

Quoting TableforSeven:

I live in a small town in northern Israel. :-)

Quoting Momyplease:

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)