Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Son doesn't wash sheets ... Ever!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:45 AM
  • 19 Replies
Hi. First of all I am new here as of tonight. Idk if this is even where this should be posted. But here goes ...

My15yo son does all of his laundry himself (Thank god!!!) and generally does a great job (especially compared to other teen boys). But he is too lazy to do his bedsheets. I think he has done them twice past 12 months! They are gross! Should I care? Should I step in somehow? Is there a health risk? I suppose this will be solved when he is allowed to bring girls into his room never? Lol). What should I do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Homeschoolmom99
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell him to wash them! And to spray lysol on his bed ewww!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Tell him he has to do it at least once a month just to clean away any germs from illness and sweat.

MotheringMom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:08 AM
So far all I have done is basically joke about it. Hoping it will embarrass him into waahing them. Hasn't worked. I like the 1per month idea. But should I force him to or bribe him or what? He is clean other than that.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Consequences just like when he was younger.  If he does not wash them at least once a month, he loses something he treasures.  You have to see him manually go through each step as well, he can not say he did it w/o you seeing.  I have known teens to actually sleep on bare mattresses BLECH and dd is doing that with hers right now.  She is 6 and getting ready for a new bed which means new sheets and no more plastic on her mattress.

I just washed our linens today since i was sick as well as sprayed lysol on mattress to help kill more germs.

Sassy762
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:29 AM
1 mom liked this

At this point ..BURN THEM. Buy him some more and  tell him that he has to wash them at least once a week....smdh

i.love.my.life
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Buy him a new set. Wash the bedding for him. Just cause he does everything else doesn't mean you can't do his bedding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Summer on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Thats gross.  Have you set it up as an expectation?

MotheringMom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Wow there sure are alot of different ways to parent. I do like the suggestion of buying new sheets. Actually he/we have plenty of clean sheets he can use, however if we buy a new pair together that he really likes I think there is more of a chance that he actually puts them on and cleans them on a regular basis. As far as taking away things or making it an expectation ... well tbh I parent a bit more lax than that (at his age at least). He is a sophomore and in 2 years I won't be there to make him do things. He does have a ton of expectations around the house as far as pitching in, but as far as personal hygene and his room I kinda stepped back once he got into high school.

I am still a bit interested if there is actually a health concern with his sheets or not. Any nurses or health professionals out there? I have consideed just saying that his sheets are unhealthy, but don't like to lie or mak up things that i don't know are true or not. Thanks.

sherry132
by Sherry on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:00 PM

As the mother of three teenage boys and one teenage girl, I would never allow it to have gone on this long. Your his mother, make him. That is disgusting.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM

My 17 year old has been doing his own laundry for many years but there is no way in hell he would ever get away with not washing his sheets for that long. That's disgusting and you should be ashamed for letting him get away with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)