Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does anyone know about looms?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 10 Replies

I am going to purchase a weaving loom and have a few questions.  Does anyone here know a lot a out looms and not mind 'chatting' with me?

I am going to call the company that sells the loom I am looking at and ask them questions - but would love some real-world advice/opinions as well.

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hippie.Gypsy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

No idea but that is cool... wouldn't mind learning to use one myself, so here is a bump!

auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Not really, but I love them!   :-)

What kind is it?
Will you take a class?

EsmeVincent
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Why not just Google it?
TableforSeven
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Quoting doulala:

Not really, but I love them!   :-)

What kind is it?
Will you take a class?

I've actually been working with a loom for a few years...and have done some weaving already.  I don't want to do anything fancy...I want to hand-weave Tallits (Jewish prayer shawls)....which is what I have been doing in the past.

I am planning to buy a 36" floor loom.

My questions come from preparing to buy one...and I will have to assemble it myself.  The one I have worked on in the last is smaller than the one I intend to buy and it was assembled a LONG time ago.  The woman I worked with doesn't remember the terms (not to mention i now live halfway around the world from her to ask) and I'm not totally certain what I want/need when ordering.

TableforSeven
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Why not just Google it?

I have...but it would be easier to ask someone who has personal knowledge then rely on what I can find on google.  I am working on a long list of questions for the people at the loom company...but figured I would ask here as well.

AtillaTheHun
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Sorry, I am of no help here. But here is a bump :) 

EsmeVincent
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Ahh...hope you can get your answers

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Why not just Google it?

I have...but it would be easier to ask someone who has personal knowledge then rely on what I can find on google.  I am working on a long list of questions for the people at the loom company...but figured I would ask here as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Thanks - I figured a lot out today on-line by doing more in-depth research.  I have a very detailed list of questions for the company -- I just need to wait until they open to call.  Considering how expensive the loom is - and I'm sure my shipping and import taxes will add up quickly -- I don't want to make any mistakes and order the wrong thing.  :-)

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Why not just Google it?

EsmeVincent
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM

totally understand that...you don't want to spend the $ and then not have everything you need or have the wrong thing.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Thanks - I figured a lot out today on-line by doing more in-depth research.  I have a very detailed list of questions for the company -- I just need to wait until they open to call.  Considering how expensive the loom is - and I'm sure my shipping and import taxes will add up quickly -- I don't want to make any mistakes and order the wrong thing.  :-)

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Why not just Google it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN