Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Car seat question

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:34 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hello.

Okay, so let me get this out the way. Yes I am back. No I have no idea how long. Yes I am fine. No I dont not want to talk about why I left and no I will not entertain negative comments so if you come in to my post to bash or any of that about anything I have said or done in the past, I will ignore you.

Now, with that being said, I have a car seat question. My 2 year old's coordinator is taking us to her doctors appt. I have never had to worry about a car seat besides when I took her home because its not required in cabs in NYC but she has a car. I am not sure if I am supposed to RF or FF her. She is 33 1/2 inches (measured her with measuring tape) and I have no idea what her weight is right now because her dr was on bereavement for the last 3 months and is finally back so I can finally take her to her 2 year check up. I know in NYC a carseat is required for up to 40LBs and then you can do a booster seat from 40lbs and up or 4-8 yrs. old (up to 100LBS or 4'9). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:42 AM

The coordinator does not have one you could borrow?  I had dd facing forward at that age.

briellesmomma
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

The coordinator does not have one you could borrow?  I had dd facing forward at that age.

No. I have one. Its a tight tight fit but I figured it would still work. I have no idea what to do and not to do with car seats since the only time I ever had to use one was when I brought her home from the hospital. So Im just a little confused what to do.

TrouserMouse
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Nice way to come back...lol.

At her age, ff is fine. It is an option.  But, you can choose to rf if you like.

briellesmomma
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Quoting TrouserMouse:

At her age, ff is fine. It is an option.  But, you can choose to rf if you like.

LOL. Thank you! I asked in the FB group but no one answered so I sucked it up and asked for my name back lol. I really have no knowledge what so ever of car seats. Its frustrating trying to decided what is better than the other. I am kinda hoping her dr says shes over 40 lbs so I can buy a booster seat lol. Im assuming those are just straight forward because its FFing.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Quoting briellesmomma:

Quoting TrouserMouse:

LOL. Thank you! I asked in the FB group but no one answered so I sucked it up and asked for my name back lol. I really have no knowledge what so ever of car seats. Its frustrating trying to decided what is better than the other. I am kinda hoping her dr says shes over 40 lbs so I can buy a booster seat lol. Im assuming those are just straight forward because its FFing.

I would not put her in a booster until age 4 as much as that is a pain in the butt for when you use an actual car.  I would think about getting a lighter convertible harness/booster for the rest of her carseat life.

Every child under age 16 in the vehicle must use a safety restraint. If under age four, he or she must be properly secured in a federally-approved child safety seat that is attached to a vehicle by a safety belt or universal child restraint anchorage (LATCH) system. A child under age four who weighs more than 40 pounds may be restrained in a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt. A child of age 4, 5, 6 or 7, must use a booster seat with lap and shoulder belt or a child safety seat (The child and safety restraint system must meet the height and weight recommendations of the restraint manufacturer.)

briellesmomma
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting briellesmomma:

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I would not put her in a booster until age 4 as much as that is a pain in the butt for when you use an actual car.  I would think about getting a lighter convertible harness/booster for the rest of her carseat life.

Every child under age 16 in the vehicle must use a safety restraint. If under age four, he or she must be properly secured in a federally-approved child safety seat that is attached to a vehicle by a safety belt or universal child restraint anchorage (LATCH) system. A child under age four who weighs more than 40 pounds may be restrained in a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt. A child of age 4, 5, 6 or 7, must use a booster seat with lap and shoulder belt or a child safety seat (The child and safety restraint system must meet the height and weight recommendations of the restraint manufacturer.)

Awesome! Great I am going to look that up now. Thank you!

Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:07 AM
http://m.costco.ca/Safety-1st®-Summit™-Deluxe-High-back-Combination-Booster-Car-Seat.product.10315560.html

This is a great ff car seat. It goes a long way and is decently priced. My 3y/o is using one and it has been awesome.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
briellesmomma
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

http://m.costco.ca/Safety-1st®-Summit™-Deluxe-High-back-Combination-Booster-Car-Seat.product.10315560.html

This is a great ff car seat. It goes a long way and is decently priced. My 3y/o is using one and it has been awesome.

So it is a booster, not a car seat? It looks nice and I have no idea what price car seats are supposed to be lol. So if you say its decent, I'll just take your word for it. This car seat/booster thing has me a little flustered and frustrated so I definitely needed outside opinions on it.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:12 AM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-High-Back-Booster-Car-Seat-Polyanna/16932759?findingMethod=rr

Is the one we have for dd.  She is turning 7 in march so I want to see if she will fit in a no back booster now though she rides in this one fine.

Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:16 AM
It's considered a combination booster, because it harnesses. If it didn't harness but still had a back on it, it would be considered a high back booster. I actually got recommended this seat from the car seat safety group :) These things can be hundreds and I made it clear to the css group that I didn't want to spend a lot. It has the LATCH and TETHER so you can use those, or you can use the vehicle belt. I really love it haha.

Quoting briellesmomma:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

So it is a booster, not a car seat? It looks nice and I have no idea what price car seats are supposed to be lol. So if you say its decent, I'll just take your word for it. This car seat/booster thing has me a little flustered and frustrated so I definitely needed outside opinions on it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN