Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone with actual experience weaning an older toddler?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is almost 2 and is no where near finished BF. My first weaned himself around 18 months. It kinda breaks my heart, but I know it's time for us to stop. Any advice on how to make it easier on both of us or advice in general?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Replies (11-13):
armygirl16
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:10 AM

I weaned my daughter at 2 1/2 years old.  I only did it then because I got mastitis twice, two months in a row and I was sooo sick and had to miss a few days of work each time.  It was the sickest I had been in my life.  After the 2nd ime with mastitis I decided to wean her because I didn't want to get it again.  I just slowed down with the nursing sessions.  Only one in the morning, none at night, then distracted her in the morning when she wanted to nurse, but would nurse every other day, then spread it further and further apart until we stopped.  

Follow me on my "Insanity" journey: http://mom2olivia08.blogspot.com/

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Op - had you considered child led weaning? They will stop when they are ready! :)

If that is out of the question, slowly drop the nursing session your lo is least attached to, and then once that one has been dropped, start with the next one, etc... Slowly and gently...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:05 AM

My longest breastfeeder weaned after age 2.  It's sounds to me like you feel you are done, and it's okay if you are, despite the mixed feelings.  I'd recommend decreasing the frequency, like to only naptime and bedtime, replacing that with cuddling and books, then replace it entirely. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)