Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

need help.......

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

OK so here's my problem... In 2011, a company called me wanting to know if I needed a job because my husband had turned them down. They called me cause they asked if he knew anyone, and he told them I did. So, after an application was mailed, and a drug test, the only thing left was a background check. Before it was ran, the guy asked me "before I run this, am I gonna find anything?", and I told him "No sir. I've never been arrested, in jail, or to court (other than for child support cases)". Not more than 10 minutes later, he calls back and tells me that the background check is saying different.

Apparently, this is what he found.

• In some wierd town in Missouri in 2001,
  • some lady by the name of Heather B. Jones, same SSN and DOB
  • arrested for possesion of a controled substance near a schoolground.
  • went to court, pleaded guilty.
  • was on probation.
  • and also was in trouble for writing hot checks. surprised

WHAT?!?! I informed the guy that this woman definately WASN'T me. Then I gave him the reasons why.

• In some wierd town in Missouri in 2001, (I didn't live in Missouri till I believe 2004 or 2005. The only city I lived in was Independence, Missouri)
  • some lady by the name of Heather B. Jones (My middle name starts with an E!! At the time, I wasn't even a Jones...YET) (Married and became Jones in 2008),
  • arrested for possesion of a controled substance near a schoolground. (the only illegal drug I've EVER done was majaruna)
  • went to court, pleaded guilty. (as i had told the guy, I've NEVER been to court for anything other than Child support)
  • was on probation. (NOPE!!!)
  • and also was in trouble for writing hot checks. ( The ONLY check I've EVER wrote was the ones in school when they showed us how to write a check!)

So... I have applied to several jobs, and some of them sound so hopeful, only to never hear from them again. We are a single income family, barely getting by in between paychecks. I called the local PD and was told that I'd have to call the PD in the place that it happened. File a report, and possibly get a lawyer. I am scared that this doesnt have any chance of being resolved. We cant afford a lawyer!!!

frustrated HHHHEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!!

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-5):
    CreziaMommyTo2
    by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM

a company cannot do a background check without your permission.  with that said, they usually need your SS#.  

you need to run a credit check, see what comes up, and then start disputing if there is anything to dispute.  if not then call the local PD (for that state), and see what they can advise you to do.

LuLuRex
    by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I agree that you should run a credit check and see if there is anything suspicious on there. It stinks to find this stuff out, but you are going to want to be aggressive about clearing your name.

Love Giving Advice? Join Our Advice Squad!

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

a company cannot do a background check without your permission.  with that said, they usually need your SS#.  

you need to run a credit check, see what comes up, and then start disputing if there is anything to dispute.  if not then call the local PD (for that state), and see what they can advise you to do.

LancesMom
    by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM

It sounds like someone has used your identity. This can be devastating and you need to get help. I would contact a lawyer that deals in ID Theft. Hugs!

bamababe1975
    by Stephanie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I agree with the others. It sounds like your identity has been compromised and you should contact local law enforcement to find out what your options are in your state. ((HUGS)) and good luck!

5rugratsmom
    by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. This will probably be a long drawn out process, so I will post progress whenever it is made.
    Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN