Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Annyone worked part time while collecting unemployment?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:54 PM
  • 9 Replies
Or know of someone who did? I get $162 from unemployment.and at dd's school I was asked to work from 4-5 in aftercare. The pay is $100 a week but I'm not sure if that will affect my unemployment at all? I tried calling but couldn't speak to someone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM

so 5 hrs a week?  That i dont think even qualifies as part time.   Keep trying to reach whomever you have to.

Linds2Horse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM

They'll subtract the amount you make each week from your benefit.  If you make $100 at your part time job they will pay you the balance of $62. The $100 you didn't receive from umemployment will remail as part of your benefit to use during the benefit period.  For example if you would have run out of benefit at 26 weeks, you'll now have at least $100 to collect during week 27.

Paperfishies
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Yes, it will effect your unemployment.  ANY money earned will effect it.

babygirljd
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:51 AM

My husband did this during a partial layoff last year. It effected his unemployment a little, he had to report the hours he worked  etc. But he was definitely better off working the hours.

Indianamomto4
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:47 AM

When my dh was laid off he worked some on a call in basis for workers who were absent. Any amount he made that week was deducted from the amount of unemployment he received and he drew the difference in unemployment.... We are in Indiana and I don't know if different states have different regulations or if it's the same nationwide? I would check with my local unemployment office to be sure.

brebugmom91
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:52 AM
It will a little. Dh collected unemployment in 2011 for about 8 months and worked full time for about 5 of those. He didn't make the same amount he did before unemployment so he was able to keep it. We got the full amount, but after adding in how much he made that week we would get like $30.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MADMomma1975a
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:09 AM

In PA, you can make a certain amount before it's deducted from your unemployment pay.  I can't remember what the percentage is, but you should be okay if you're only working 5 hours a week.

JessicaRee
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM
In OK I'm allowed to make 100 dollars a week before it affects my benefits. Anything over 100 gets deducted from my weekly benefits. So, since my benefits are 181 weekly, and I only make 45 a week, I'm fine. If I made 145 a week my benefit for that week would be 136. Make sense?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlestchef
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM

it's a ratio, but depends on each state...here, in Wisconsin, if I were to make 100 a week with your benefit rate amount, I would make about 120 in unemployment....they only count like a 3rd of what you make here in wisconsin(unless you work over 30 hours or make substantially more with less hours than your last job)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN