Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Nice job lying to my kid and stressing her out for no good reason..........

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 28 Replies

Here is the background-

My 8 yr old DD Caitlin is in 3rd grade in public school. This year she has to take The Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS).  It is a state test used to assess the schools performance and to a small extent the teachers performance as well.  I used to be a teacher in MA so I know all about this test and what a crock of shit it is. Kids take it, then funding is given to schools who scores are high enough and taken away if they are too low.  It is a redictulous  system in my opinion, but whatever, it is what it is.  Kids have to take it every year starting in 3rd grade.  It means NOTHING for the students personally.

Caitlin is a straight A student.  She has never gotten bellow a 98 on a test.  She reads at a 7th grade level.  And any yearly assessment test she takes her score is double or triple the class average.  I am not saying that to brag, it is just how far ahead she is, and why the what happened today is even more upsetting.

So now to what i am upset over.

Starting in September the teacher starting talking and talking and talking about the MCAS test with Caitlin's class.  Caitlin came home all stressed over it.  Saying they had to do good and it was a very important test for their grade/  Which is totally not true.  I explained that it is an important test for the school.  But, that it does not affect her grade personally.  I told her she needed to do her best because and show what she has learned because it it important for the school.  But, I told her she does not need to stress over it, and to just do her best.

Well, this test is in May and they have been doing little practice tests and Caitlin says they get lectures each time about how they have to try very hard.  And Caitlin has been becoming more and more anxious and stressed about the test.  This is a kid who has never had any test anxiety and aces tests.  And now she is developing test anxiety from this.  I keep telling her not to stress, and to just do her best.  I talked to the teacher about this and she told me she would assure Caitlin not to stress and tell her she had nothing to worry about.  

Now fast foward to today.......Caitlin's class was doing a full practice of the MCAS test.  They did not even tell the parents this, I found out from Caitlin who of course was stressing.  Soooooo, they do the practice test which includes moving the desks, locking the doors, lengthy instructions, and then taking the test.  And before they take the test the teacher tells the class, "THIS TEST IS VERY IMPORTANT.  IF YOU DO NOT DO WELL I COULD LOOSE MY TEACHERS LISCENCE!" Who does that? That is so untrue and not needed.  And caitlin said all the kids looks stressed after that.

So then Caitlin takes the 1st part, the reading part.  She said she did it and got through it pretty quick and rechecked her answers (now remember she reads at a 7th grade level) and then she brought it to the teacher.  The teacher told her that she was very disapointed in her rushing through the test and that she definetely got many wrong.  This is a 3rd grade reading test and she is at a 7th grade level, what do you expect!

Then the last thing that happened is that when Caitlin had finished her writing test (which she said she took a long time on even though she could have been done sooner cus she did not want to get in trouble).  Caitlin admitted to me she was tired and stressed out by that point that it probably was not her best work, but that she was trying.  She brought it to her teacher she took it and looked at it and read and told her she was upset with her cus she could do so much better.  And she told her that expected better from her that she needs to take the test more serious.

My poor girl came home a mess.  She is not a sensitive girl and only cries if she is very upset.  And she was sobbing.  She may not always do perfectly, but she works very hard at everything in school.  I never have to push her or tell her to try harder.  And I always get that same feedback from her teacher.  (actually got that from this teacher at conferences). 

I am so pissed! Why do they have to do this?  They are totally destroying her outlook on school because of 1 stupid test!!!!!

I know I need to talk to the teacher.  I have not decided how to approach it.  I am soooo mad I need to calm down before I do.  I can not decide if I should email her or call.  

What do you think?  What would you do?  How would you feel if this happened to your kid?  

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 7 yrs, Lilly 5 yrs, Molly 2 yr. and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my husband Jeff for 7 yrs,I am a domestic violence  survivor,infant loss survivor, swine flu  medically induced coma survivor, an attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, mom of an awesome daughter with autism, I have multible life long disabilities but am determined to not let them stop me,My husband and girls are my
everything and I live for them! =-)That is me in a nutshell!   

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yezay
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Go in guns loaded I am pissed just reading this! The whole reason I decided to switch from education is that damn mcas!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aydnsmommy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It sound like you have already addressed it with the teacher and she brushed you off. I would be taking it to the principle, especially with the "I could lose my license" comment. This teacher needs a reality check.

m0m23b0ys458
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I would probably go off like some kind of idiot and make a bigger mess,so I'm no help.Here's a bump though.That teacher needs some sense knocked into her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2little1s
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I was thinking of going to the principle.  I do not even know what I could say to the teacher that would help and not just me venting at her.  I am PTO president and know the principle well, so that does help.

Quoting Aydnsmommy:

It sound like you have already addressed it with the teacher and she brushed you off. I would be taking it to the principle, especially with the "I could lose my license" comment. This teacher needs a reality check.

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 7 yrs, Lilly 5 yrs, Molly 2 yr. and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my husband Jeff for 7 yrs,I am a domestic violence  survivor,infant loss survivor, swine flu  medically induced coma survivor, an attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, mom of an awesome daughter with autism, I have multible life long disabilities but am determined to not let them stop me,My husband and girls are my

momof2little1s
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Quoting yezay:

Go in guns loaded I am pissed just reading this! The whole reason I decided to switch from education is that damn mcas!!

It is so stupid. It stops the teachers from actually teacher and they end up teaching the test ll year.

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Talk to the teacher WITH the principal AND your daughter present.
Tell them you know all about the test and what it means and how it works and share the things your daughter has shared with you. It's unacceptable to me for a teacher to do this to a student and you and your daughter shouldn't have to put up with it. It's practically bullying.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yezay
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:19 PM
That was my exact reasoning. And I'm sad because I really did want to be a teacher but not like that. Where in ma are you?

Quoting momof2little1s:

Quoting yezay:

It is so stupid. It stops the teachers from actually teacher and they end up teaching the test ll year.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I read a story about an 8 year old boy who took the standardized test, told his teacher, "I hope I did well.", then went home and shot himself.  He died. 

The stress that these kids are put under over these tests is absolutely RIDICULOUS!  My kids have some form of standardized test every year of school.  Some, they have to pass, like the FCAT, in order to go on to the next grade level.  Others, they take them for evaluation of their progress.  It's nuts!  Thank you NCLB for messing up our kids!

momof2little1s
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Honestly MCAS is one of the reasons I have not gone back to teaching.  

I am in Chicopee, Outside Springfield, MA.

Quoting yezay:

That was my exact reasoning. And I'm sad because I really did want to be a teacher but not like that. Where in ma are you?

Quoting momof2little1s:

Quoting yezay:

Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Take it to the principal, not the teacher. The teacher should not be saying what she said to stress all of the children out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)