Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

home decor help!!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 14 Replies

I want to use a chocolate brown in our formal living room. Its a very large room and has four windows that get all the afternoon sun, so it's pretty bright. how do I use such a dark color without making it look like a cave?? it does have a chair rail and crown molding (white). 

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:33 PM
What about an accent wall that color, with wall lamps?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
karabearblu
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Our living room is a cave but I love dark colors. We went with a light grey and painted one wall a darker grey to accent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Do you mean on the walls, or rug, or furniture?

My bathrooms are chocolate brown with a white trim.they don't have many windows and I don't feel they are dark.

tennisgal
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM

well I had meant on the walls, but i don't guess it has to be. 

Quoting christina0607:

Do you mean on the walls, or rug, or furniture?

My bathrooms are chocolate brown with a white trim.they don't have many windows and I don't feel they are dark.

tennisgal
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM

are accent walls still "okay"? I really have no idea but I do know that I don't wanna paint again for awhile and dh is itching to get it done before we host some family events this year. 

Quoting kayandjsmom:

karabearblu
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Here is a photo. We are not done decorating though. You could do lightccurtains and lighter furniture to brighten it up or add some bright colors in your decor. Sorry for the bad typing in my phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Quoting tennisgal:

I have orange walls and we will be putting chocolate brown rugs in soon. I love chocolate brown, but I wouldn't put it on my living room walls. So put it in the bathrooms and the rigs. Then I used chocolate brown throw pillows on the couches.

What color is your trim? If you do put it on the walls I would use white for the trim.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

tennisgal
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM

it's an off white right now, but they used flat paint so it has to all be painted...eventually lol. 

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting tennisgal:

I have orange walls and we will be putting chocolate brown rugs in soon. I love chocolate brown, but I wouldn't put it on my living room walls. So put it in the bathrooms and the rigs. Then I used chocolate brown throw pillows on the couches.

What color is your trim? If you do put it on the walls I would use white for the trim.

kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I love them. I did my sister's nursery a few months back and she loves dark brown so I did an accent wall in there. Here are some pics. It doesn't show the other wall. It has a dresser and the closet door is the same color as the accent wall.

We added some brighter colrs (green, orange and blue) to lighten it up.

Quoting tennisgal:

are accent walls still "okay"? I really have no idea but I do know that I don't wanna paint again for awhile and dh is itching to get it done before we host some family events this year. 

Quoting kayandjsmom:

tennisgal
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I love the owls!! That's what I wanted to do for a little girls room.

Now come do my house!!

Quoting kayandjsmom:

I love them. I did my sister's nursery a few months back and she loves dark brown so I did an accent wall in there. Here are some pics. It doesn't show the other wall. It has a dresser and the closet door is the same color as the accent wall.

We added some brighter colrs (green, orange and blue) to lighten it up.

Quoting tennisgal:

Quoting kayandjsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN