Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ma'am/sir

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 66 Replies
Do your kids say yes ma'am or yes sir? I want to get ds in the habit now when he's only 6. But do I keep correcting him? I had a cousin who made me say it and I hated it (but he was also a douche at the time, we are friends now). How did y'all go about it?

ETA. All those who say no, why not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
IDK, we dont make ds say it. We believe kids can be respectful without using mam and sir. I think it is a southern thing.
singlemom1208
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Been teaching him since he started talking. Don't have to remind him much anymore. He's 4.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM

No. We feel it is archaic.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
It's expected.
rollin3kidsdeep
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM
We say it and so do the kids. We are in the south. If you don't say it, you are viewed as disrespectful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kzuehlk
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Our kids say it when they speak to adults. We just started using it from the time they started talking. My oldest does need some reminders and my 3yo always says "ma'am" but hasn't quite caught on to sir yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM

No.  We live in the northeast.  It is not common, at least in my region, for kids to automatically say ma'am and sir.  It sounds odd to me, but I know it's the norm in other parts of the country.

VintageWife
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM
4 moms liked this

If mine forget, I prompt it. It's not always ma'am or sir though. I require them to say Miss or Mister before people's names. I think it's incredibly rude for a child to say "Hey Amber, ______." instead of "Hey Miss Amber, _____." I don't think children need to be on a first name basis with every adult they meet.

That's just how I feel about it though. My mom always prompted us when we forgot to put Aunt or Uncle before names.

bekalynne440
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
We started teaching our kids to say it at between 1.5 and 2. It has also helped them to know when we mean business. If we tell them they need to do/not do something their response is "yes ma'am/sir". They are 2 and almost 4 now and don't really need reminders.

(I love telling this story). A while back we were at the store. Ds was trying to get passed someone and said "excuse me, sir." I was so proud of his manners.
Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:21 PM

its something we start w/ them when they are young. we just keep correcting them until they get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)