Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Do your kids say yes ma'am or yes sir? I want to get ds in the habit now when he's only 6. But do I keep correcting him? I had a cousin who made me say it and I hated it (but he was also a douche at the time, we are friends now). How did y'all go about it?

ETA. All those who say no, why not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Replies (61-66):
C8linVilla
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM

My 4 year old does. I simply always said *maam* after she would say yes. Took a few days but it stuck. She would not get anything until she said it. Its pretty easy really. Its very sad most people in the USA outside of the south dont say it. I get weird looks all the time here in WA and even people telling me not to call them sir or ma'am when i say it. i only lived in S.C. 3 years but it stuck pretty quick!

Uniquecoolio
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM
mine say it because their used to it from martial arts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM
We live in the south. Saying Ma'am and sir is like breathing. Lord above help you if you don't say it lol SOMEONE will correct you lol.
Tooth_Inspector
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Yes, we wanted to teach them to respect their elders. I say it frequently when talking to strangers so does my husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LABELmeCUTE
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Nope,
GaleJ
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I am an extreme liberal but an absolute stickler about being respectful. I believe that the most respectful way one can address someone is in the way they themselves wish to be addressed. Having said that I always felt that in casual encounters with strangers it was always appropriate to be as respectful as possible in the most conventional way so my husband and I always used ma'am and sir and so our son simply saw it as the way one addresses those people one doesn't know. He is grown now and a very polite young man. Our children learn what they see us live, it's really rather simple. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN