Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

WTF is wrong with this country

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 30 Replies
7-Year-Old Handcuffed Over $5, Says Suit | ABC News Blogs
By Ben Waldron

The family of a 7-year-oldNew Yorkboy is suing police and the city for $250 million, saying cops handcuffed and interrogated the boy for ten hours after a scuffle over lunch money at school.
Wilson Reyes, a student atPublic School114 in the Bronx reportedly got into a fight with a fellow student in December after he was accused of taking $5 of lunch money that had fallen on the ground in front of him. Responding to a complaint of assault and robbery, the police were called and took the boy to thelocal police precinctwhere officers allegedly handcuffed and interrogated him for ten hours, according to the lawsuit.
"Imagine how I felt seeing my son in handcuffs," Wilson's mother,Frances Mendez, told the New York Post . "It was horrible. I couldn't believe what I was seeing," she said.
The claim, filed by family attorneyJack Yankowitz, accuses theNYPD, among other things, of false imprisonment, physical, verbal, emotional and psychological abuse, and deprivation of Reyes' constitutional rights.
Robbery charges against the boy were later dropped, and the NYPD, though it disputes the accusations in the suit, is investigating the incident.
"While the lawyer's claims are grossly untrue in many respects, including fabrication as to how long the child was held, the matter is nonetheless being reviewed by the department'sInternal Affairs Bureau," Deputy Commissioner Paul J. Browne told ABC News in an emailed statement.
New York City Public Advocate Bill de Blasio was critical of the NYPD in a statement posted on theNew York City Public Advocate's website.
"Seven-year-olds don't belong in handcuffs," he said. "As a parent, I wouldn't stand for this in one of my kids' schools. Our school system's over-reliance on the NYPD as a disciplinary tool traumatizes our young people, sows distrust in our communities and drains vital city resources away from responding to genuine crimes. This has to stop."
Calls placed to Public School 114 were not immediately returned. Also Read
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dana63
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I just read this and there was another report that said that this 7 year old had been bullying this other child and actually took the money out of the boys pocket. Regardless the child should not have been handcuff and as a parent I would have been very mad I don't think I would do a law suit but would want action on the police who did this to my child.

Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM
3 moms liked this
I guess you deleted your last post on thus. So you are mad that the child was treated like the thug he is? The child punched another kid in the face and then robbed him. NY state law has a child from 7-17 can be arrested for this. The officer did nothing wrong. Maybe mommy dearest should be a fucking mom and not be sue happy cause her son was locked up and treated like the thug he is.
Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM
He punched the 9 year old in the face and then robbed him. What do you expect the cops to do, let the kid run around the pct? NY state law has that a child between 7-17 can be arrested for this. The cop did his job.

Quoting dana63:

I just read this and there was another report that said that this 7 year old had been bullying this other child and actually took the money out of the boys pocket. Regardless the child should not have been handcuff and as a parent I would have been very mad I don't think I would do a law suit but would want action on the police who did this to my child.

Hippie.Gypsy
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Regardless of what the child had done, you do not handcuff a 7 year old or arrest them or stick them in a room for 10 hours and interrogate them. As a mother, I would have been beyond angry. You call parents, teachers handle it...and if the cops were called in, fine but you still do not arrest a child.

ilana_ny
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM
The kid was a bully. He bullied other 7yo all the time. Why the other 7yo boy had to suffer?
If his parents did nothing about it. The school this days can't punish kids, so they could not do anything about it. The only option was to call the cops. I'm glad Cops showed him where he may end up if he will continue his behavior. Instate of sueing the State, parent whould of teach their little bully how to behave.
Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM
250 million this is ludicrous ! My first thought is this may be a fabrication. The police in any state cannot interrogate a minor with out the parents consent. I am also having a hard time believing the cops would question a seven yr old for 10 hrs they have more important things to do!
dana63
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Quoting Jennyanne322:

He punched the 9 year old in the face and then robbed him. What do you expect the cops to do, let the kid run around the pct? NY state law has that a child between 7-17 can be arrested for this. The cop did his job.

Quoting dana63:

I know what the media said he did but handcuff for 10 hours? He is 7 years old and yes he should be punished but not like this. I know that most police stations have rooms that they talk to the person in and with his parents they could have placed him in this room with out the cuffs.

dana63
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Quoting Hippie.Gypsy:

Regardless of what the child had done, you do not handcuff a 7 year old or arrest them or stick them in a room for 10 hours and interrogate them. As a mother, I would have been beyond angry. You call parents, teachers handle it...and if the cops were called in, fine but you still do not arrest a child.

I agree!

Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM
He wasn't in any room actually. He was in the hallway. And he was held for only 4 hours at the pct. the school detained him and held him for hours before the cops arrested him.

Quoting dana63:

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Quoting dana63:

I know what the media said he did but handcuff for 10 hours? He is 7 years old and yes he should be punished but not like this. I know that most police stations have rooms that they talk to the person in and with his parents they could have placed him in this room with out the cuffs.

ilana_ny
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I don't believe he was really handcuffed for 10hours.

Where were his parent than?

They just want the money.

Quoting dana63:

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Quoting dana63:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN