Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Which of these would YOU be offended at?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 66 Replies

Poll

Question: Who would you be offended at?

Options:

Neither. I wouldn't care.

The ladies. He has a point. It IS rude to speak Spainish when they know the rest of us don't understand their private conversation.

The guy. What a jackass!

Actually, they were both rude.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 208

View Results

I was at a donut shop, and there was a line. Near the front is two Hispanic ladies, who are talking to each other in Spainish. Right behind them and right in front of me is a guy. The guy speaks up to these ladies and says, "Excuse me! This is the US! It's rude to speak Spainish around us English speaking Americans who can't understand you!"

I was flabbergasted that he would say that. I think HE was obviously the rude person. I made a surprised face at him and muttered under my breath about his rudeness but I didn't say anything directly TO him, he seemed like the type who might get violent, dirty and disheveled and angry at the world. Are you with him, do you think the ladies are the ones being rude, or him?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM
10 moms liked this
They weren't talking to him, why should they have to speak a different language to accommodate his need to eavesdrop?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitchen.ninja
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM
The guy was rude!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hippie.Gypsy
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM

TBH, I probably would have had to restrain myself from smacking him upside the head for being an idiot. Still would have told him he was an idiot, in several different languages, Spanish being one of them.

christina0607
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I picked neither...because I just wouldn't care. 

I often wonder where the people of cafemom spend their time with stories like these. 

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Technically, the English speaking people stole America from the native Indians and Mexicans so they're just speaking the ORIGINAL language of the US.
It's rude and then some for him to demand people have a private conversation in a language he can understand. If they had been talking to him, maybe I could understand such an outburst.
iansusie
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:01 PM

If it would have been a group conversation, then yes it would be rude to not speak English but in a doughnut shop, they can speak whatever they want to each other, whether or not the other people understand! 

inspain
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:05 PM

He was a rude twat.  Their conversation was none of his business, so it didn't matter what language they were speaking and if he could understand it.

I would have said something to him.  I cannot stand people like that.

inspain
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd love to know what kind of person would think they were all rude.  13% seem to think this way.

loisl25
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:08 PM

That's what I think too!

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

They weren't talking to him, why should they have to speak a different language to accommodate his need to eavesdrop?

adrianasmommy07
by Kristin on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM
3 moms liked this
Ummmm. Yeah. The Spanish spoken In mexico was imported from spain, when they stole that land from the natives. Spanish isnt the native language anywhere in the U.S..

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Technically, the English speaking people stole America from the native Indians and Mexicans so they're just speaking the ORIGINAL language of the US.

It's rude and then some for him to demand people have a private conversation in a language he can understand. If they had been talking to him, maybe I could understand such an outburst.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN