• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O of Unique Names

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 8 Replies

For those who want their child to stand out with a unique name you may want to think twice. Many parents who give their children these names say that they do so in order to make their kids more unique. Uniqueness, however, can be a significant burden in children’s lives, so parents should consider the uniqueness aspect itself. Thousands of parents give their children similarly “distinctive” names. If so many different people are doing the same thing, is it really unique anymore? And if these kinds of names aren’t actually truly unique, what positive purpose is there in giving them to children? (last paragraph from the article)

For the complete artcle copy and paste the link into your browser address bar.

http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/by-any-other-name-the-perils/

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
djenesis81
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I wanted my children to have unique yet normal names, if that makes any sense.  My daughters name is Kaila, like Kayla but with an "i" instead of a "y".  I also chose Maxwell for my son because it's not a real common name but it's a normal name.  There are hardly any other Kaila's and not many Maxwell's.  Unique names without being off the wall. 

christina0607
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I think most of the time "unique" equals ridiculous, and the parents just have no idea. 

They give their kids horrendously spelled names that in all reality sound exactly the same as their normally spelled counterparts.

Uniqueness comes from within a person...never from their name. 

BlsdWithTwOKids
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Eh I am all for unique names but not off the wall unique names like

Shaniqu'aliara Desh'anelle lex'us merce'des',you get the point,I like unique names like

Izayah

Jaymez

Izabella

You get the point

My Group For Moms Who Love Taking Pictures,NO DRAMA:http://www.cafemom.com/group/118535

RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Unique spellings are also part of the article. I would not know how to pronounce Jaymez.

Jay -mis, James, Hi-me? You get the point?

Quoting BlsdWithTwOKids:

Shaniqu'aliara Desh'anelle lex'us merce'des',you get the point,I like unique names like

Izayah

Jaymez

Izabella

You get the point

christina0607
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I think it's pronounced James...so my question would be whats the point? No one spells your name out when they say it. so those names are the exact same names as their properly spelled counterparts...however it just looks like their parents couldn't spell. 

Although, technically that name would be pronounced jay-mez....and thats just horrible. 

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Unique spellings are also part of the article. I would not know how to pronounce Jaymez.

Quoting BlsdWithTwOKids:

Izayah

Jaymez

Izabella

You get the point

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

RLSMOM59
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM

That's the point of the article. The parents think it's cute but it is the child that has to deal with correcting people all th time. Another point is future employers may not interview the person because he/she cannot pronounce the name and doesn't want to look stupid. 

Quoting christina0607:

I think it's pronounced James...so my question would be whats the point? No one spells your name out when they say it. so those names are the exact same names as their properly spelled counterparts...however it just looks like their parents couldn't spell. 

Although, technically that name would be pronounced jay-mez....and thats just horrible. 

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Quoting BlsdWithTwOKids:

Izayah

Jaymez

Izabella

You get the point

christina0607
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM

That is very true. A name can be the first impression, whether you like it or not. If, on an application, the name looks over the top or it's so out there that it can't be taken seriously, you just might get looked over. 

Quoting RLSMOM59:

That's the point of the article. The parents think it's cute but it is the child that has to deal with correcting people all th time. Another point is future employers may not interview the person because he/she cannot pronounce the name and doesn't want to look stupid. 

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Quoting BlsdWithTwOKids:

Izayah

Jaymez

Izabella

You get the point

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

jiffypop2207
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I know I'll get bashed for this but in all honesty I think people do that just so they can argue with people how to spell it "right"

Quoting christina0607:

I think most of the time "unique" equals ridiculous, and the parents just have no idea. 

They give their kids horrendously spelled names that in all reality sound exactly the same as their normally spelled counterparts.

Uniqueness comes from within a person...never from their name. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)