Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

When babysitting goes bad?...

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM
  • 22 Replies

We moved into our new house at the beginning of the school year and we became friends with our next door neighbors.  They asked me, since I am a sahm, if I could pick up their daughter from the bus stop, my 4yr old rides the same bus, at 3 and watch her until 3:30ish.  They said they were too broke to pay me however but I didn't see it as a problem as it was only for 30 minutes.  3:30 has gradually turned into 4, then 4:30 and now after 5 every day.  They haven't said anything about it and don't seem to think that I could have an issue with it.  You wouldn't think that a 9yr old would be that big of deal but she doesn't always listen when I give orders and she is teaching my 4,3,and 2yr old to do the same.  I've spoken to her and her parents and nothing changes.  Now they are trying to get me to watch their 4yr old all the time for free and still claim to be broke but I see that is not the case.  The kids get new unneccasary things all the time and their 4yr old got a brand new ipod for his 4th birthday! 30 mins wasn't bad but now its getting ridicilously out of control and I feel like I'm getting used.  How do I tell them enough is enough without losing friendship, after all they are my neighbors and our kids do play together?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terpmama
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell them your schedule has changed and you won't be able to watch the kids.

Two_Hearts
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:14 PM
2 moms liked this

What i don't understand is why are you worried about losing their friendship? They are obviously taking advantage of you.

I say tell them that they need to find other arrangments for their children , if they stop speaking to you because of it ..then your not losing anything special..

k8smimi
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM

You are being taken advantage of.  It starts off as a little and then increases and now they want to add another child and don't give you a dime.  Are you feeding snacks, drinks?  If you like to watch them then say you need X amount of money for the first child for care between the hours of ? to ?.  Address that there is a fee of $1 per every five minutes over the time set for your regular shift to end.  For the part-time child the fee is X per half hour.  Have a fee set for the second child during summer or days school is out.  Have them sign a contract with you addressing this including paid holidays, sick days, etc.  If you don't want to continue any care, state that it has become too time consuming with your schedule and that you need to quit.  You may suggest some names of those you know who do provide daycare.

Dorra
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Just tell them that you can no longer watch their child(ren). They are taking extreme advantage of you. If they were true friends they would not be using or abusing your friendship like they are. You are a friend of convience for them.

It will be their loss and when they realize it they will come back to you. When/if they do, make them pay a week in advance.

Due9
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM

They can't make you do anything you don't want to do. Tell them you have plans and can't watch their kids anymore. That's what I would say. Don't let them use you.

inspain
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I don't understand posts like this.  Why do people let themselves get used like this?  And not just once, but over and over again?  Why did't you just speak up, the first time they were five minutes late picking this kid up, and tell them that if it happened again, the deal was off?  Just tell them it's over and you can't do it any more.  They're playing you for a fool.

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM
3 moms liked this
Start going out with your kids after school and let them know that you're no longer home at that time so you won't be able to watch their kid.
TableforSeven
by Judy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Tell them that you can only watch their child until 3:30 as you first agreed on.  Let them know that after 3:30, their child needs to leave your house.  If they say they need you later....or they show up after 3:30 again, tell them you can't watch their child at all any more.

EsmeVincent
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM
this

Quoting Due9:

They can't make you do anything you don't want to do. Tell them you have plans and can't watch their kids anymore. That's what I would say. Don't let them use you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:33 AM

The kids get new unneccasary things all the time and their 4yr old got a brand new ipod for his 4th birthday! 

what does that have to do with anything, I buy my kids stuff all the time.

as for the babysitting, if you have a problem with it then just say no. kinda simple really.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)