Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a Head Lice question!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:28 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am a student nurse. I was an aid for almost 20 yrs prior to this. My son is 18. My son has NEVER had head lice, I swear, he hasnt adn I am proud of that one. I have never contracted from being an aid either, even tho many residents had it.

I had a pt last week. On sat, my instructor calls me to tell me the pt had lice and just wanted to make sure I knew about it. Well, since I spoke with her, my head has itched! I know it could be psychological, but I bought some treatment stuff just in case.  Every night I check my head and have dh look too! Nothing so far.

I want to know how long from exposure to having it show up. I want to go ahead and treat my head (and son and dh too), just in case but kinda dont want to at the same time if enough time has lasped for me to contract it. I was only with that pt one day. (I only have clinicals on fridays)

Should I go ahead and treat us all and the house?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I wouldn't use it unless you now for sure you have it.

TableforSeven
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

It can take the eggs 30 days to hatch.

I would not treat unless you have lice....and only treat those who do.  If you want to work on the house....start with the vacuum - vacuum everything from carpets to mattresses to chairs.

doulala
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Immediately.    If someone is exposed then they could have lice immediately.

No, I wouldn't treat, just head-check 2ce/day.

No worries,  it's like a cold...   it just happens to some folks sometimes.

LLbaby143
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:22 AM
I wouldn't treat but keep checking and put bedding in trash bags to kill it if it were to be on them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Delta.Dawn
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:26 AM

I wouldn't treat until you notice actual lice. 

Fields456
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:27 AM
Immediately. To be safe. I use natural treatments. They were successful last summer when my dd had them. Let me know if u would like to know what I used
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redrose_12
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:45 AM
I got them when I was younger and we were taken to this lady that took them out for a side job she used bleach to get rid of them. It worked too
calsmom62
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:54 AM
Everyday vacuum the carpets and furniture and thoroughy vacuum your car seat if you have upholstery.

Quoting TableforSeven:

It can take the eggs 30 days to hatch.

I would not treat unless you have lice....and only treat those who do.  If you want to work on the house....start with the vacuum - vacuum everything from carpets to mattresses to chairs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)