Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Casey Anthony files for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in Florida.

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 8 Replies

Casey Anthony has filed for bankruptcy protection in Orlando, Fla.

Pool / Getty Images

Casey Anthony

Anthony owes about $792,000 -- most of it to her defense attorney, according to a Chapter 7 petition filed Friday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court, The Associated Press reported.

She also faces three civil lawsuits stemming from the disappearance of her daughter, Caylee Marie,  the Orlando Sentinel reported. The 2-year-old girl was reported missing in July 2008 and her body was found that December near the home of Casey Anthony's parents in the Orlando area.

Anthony was found not guilty of murder in July 2011 but was convicted of lying about the child's disappearance. She was sentenced to time served, and on Friday an appeals court struck down two of the lying convictions.

Anthony claimed that a babysitter had kidnapped Caylee, and a woman with the same name is suing for defamation, as is the former meter reader who found the body -- he says Anthony's attorneys damaged him by painting him as a possible killer.

The third suit is by Texas EquuSearch, a search and rescue organization, which says it spent more than $100,000 searching for Caylee.

Anthony's bankruptcy filing said she had only $1,084; here are her main debts, according to the Sentinel report:

• About $500,000 to defense attorney Jose Baez
  • $145,660.21: Orange County Sheriff's Office
  • $68,540: Internal Revenue Service
  • $61,505: Florida Department of Law Enforcement
  • $10,283.90: to the Metropolitan Bureau of Investigation
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BoxxyBabee
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM
And no credit cards?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Makes sense, how in the world would she ever pay these debts.

Bankruptcy is a legal action that is available to everyone..yes even her
ayacocca
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM

shaking my head... she stays in the spotlight, & not for the right reasons..

flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM

That woman is a walking target, somebody is gonna Dexter the crap out of her when she finally decides to step out.

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM
LOL "Dexter the crap out of her"

Quoting flowerfunleah:

That woman is a walking target, somebody is gonna Dexter the crap out of her when she finally decides to step out.

flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM

lol she doesn't want to cross paths with me (not that she ever will, we live on opposite sides of the country) but if she did I can't honestly say whether or not I would hold back. In fact, I'm not really sure how she leaves her house at all.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:24 PM
I think this woman should just be ignored. She's not a good person and she doesn't deserve the attention whether it's positive or negative, it just feeds her and she's not worth the time or effort.
Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:25 PM
I thought she was a shut in on house arrest or something...

Quoting flowerfunleah:

lol she doesn't want to cross paths with me (not that she ever will, we live on opposite sides of the country) but if she did I can't honestly say whether or not I would hold back. In fact, I'm not really sure how she leaves her house at all.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)