Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Quick meds question

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM
  • 7 Replies
How do I rotate Tylenol and ibuprofen? I forgot how that works was it every 2 or 4 hours? Dd3 has a bad ear infection and just got antibiotics for it but she is in alot of pain and starting a fever and the meds seem to wear off fast. I just gave her Tylenol at 5 so can I give her ibuprofen before bed so she has a more comfortable sleep? I plan to put her to bed around 730
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I think it is every 3 hrs.  You can call a pharmacy as well and ask.  They dont charge for questions.

MommySarah986
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Thanks, I might have to. I meant to ask the doc but I totally forgot

Quoting frndlyfn:

I think it is every 3 hrs.  You can call a pharmacy as well and ask.  They dont charge for questions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsjksimmons
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I think it's 4 hours. But I'm not sure. I stopped DS Tylenol when I learned of a study that linked acetaminophen use in children with increased occurrences of asthma. My son already has health problems. I didn't want to add more.

MommySarah986
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I also think its eve;ry 3 ... but not positive.  I would call the pharmacy and confirm.

I only do that when ds gets strep b/c he gets fevers up to 105... in general I let fevers ride on their own unil  100+ (except with strep... then 100 isn't the highest we'll allow b/c he spikes)

Liudmyla
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM

4 hours for sure

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM

They are different medicines so there is no specific time in between them you need you just MUST follow proper timing of the doses of the LIKE meds. We rarely use Tylenol after all the myriad of recalls and we have found ibuprofen works much better for us.  

The reason for going back and forth is usually because Ibuprofen has a much longer window between doses so if it seems to wear off before you can dose agin then you can use tylenol in between

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)