Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any moms here have a child that is not circumcised? TMI warning UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 5 and his foreskin doesn't retract. I took him into the er cause it hurts him and is red.. I thought he had a UTI, but the doctor is convinced that his foreskin should be retracting by now tried to shove it back and ripped him slightly. Then was like oh um wait a week then take him to the doctor so they can evaluate him, I said WHY a week oh cause you just hurt him and don't want others to see what you have done? 

Help is it meant to go back by now? they say there is too much over hang I don't know what that means.. 

UPDATE: So I went to the hospital today to complain about what was happened and explain I was told that you are never meant to force the foreskin down, and they replied with sometimes to examine the issue they need to do this. I said NO it never should be done. And why am I concerned, I said well cause he was ripped and bleeding. They were like oh do you want us to see him again. GOOD LORD no was my reply. I was like he is in school, then she was like OH it must not be that bad if he can go to school. I was like are you wanting him not to be able to walk or something, cause it seems like you are upset that he is in school. They totally dismissed me and my concerns. Also we still have no clue as to why son has a red penis, and he is urinating about 5-8 times an hour.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM
It retracts between 5 and 20. Leave it alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Here
"Most boys will be able to retract their foreskins by the time they are 5 years old, yet others will not be able to until the teen years. As a boy becomes more aware of his body, he will most likely discover how to retract his own foreskin. But foreskin retraction should never be forced. Until the foreskin fully separates, do not try to pull it back. Forcing the foreskin to retract before it is ready can cause severe pain, bleeding, and tears in the skin."

Maybe he just remembered hearing "most boys"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Oh and it varies so much on when it retracts, my ds is intact and his is about 1/2 retractable at 4.5. He does it himself in the bathtub. 

ToriBabe1221
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM
It will retract when he's older. Totally normal not to retract till puberty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM
I would get a second opinion. What your describing sounds totally normal.

Quoting Punkslilncs:

I really don't know what to do. I have been told so many things. They said he might need emergency surgery to remove all the skin... I was like why they said the skin hung over too much and I was like well isn't that what foreskin is. I should have just had him circumsized :( 

Punkslilncs
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Okay, but it generally doesn't detract over the head.. I don't know how to explain it. I feel stupid and hopeless.

Quoting Retrokitty:

Here
"Most boys will be able to retract their foreskins by the time they are 5 years old, yet others will not be able to until the teen years. As a boy becomes more aware of his body, he will most likely discover how to retract his own foreskin. But foreskin retraction should never be forced. Until the foreskin fully separates, do not try to pull it back. Forcing the foreskin to retract before it is ready can cause severe pain, bleeding, and tears in the skin."

Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM
NO! NONONONO! Oh, Momma. It was a dr who didn't know what to do w an intact boy. There are quite a few websites you can go to for information/help. Google "intactivism" and it should bring you to some awesome sites (silly me, I forgot the names)

Quoting Punkslilncs:

I really don't know what to do. I have been told so many things. They said he might need emergency surgery to remove all the skin... I was like why they said the skin hung over too much and I was like well isn't that what foreskin is. I should have just had him circumsized :( 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Why didn't you just take him to his pedi to start with? No help from me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:46 PM
That's normal. I honestly wouldn't force it. It's normal for the tip to be red but if it hurts I would try some Vaseline. He may have a yeast infection. Just because there is a problem doesn't mean it has to do with him being uncircumsized.

Quoting Punkslilncs:

Okay, but it generally doesn't detract over the head.. I don't know how to explain it. I feel stupid and hopeless.

Quoting Retrokitty:

Here

masonmomma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Then take him in for a follow up sooner... and don't let doctors do things to your child you aren't ok with. He should have gone to a pedi, not an er, in the first place.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)