Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any moms here have a child that is not circumcised? TMI warning UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 5 and his foreskin doesn't retract. I took him into the er cause it hurts him and is red.. I thought he had a UTI, but the doctor is convinced that his foreskin should be retracting by now tried to shove it back and ripped him slightly. Then was like oh um wait a week then take him to the doctor so they can evaluate him, I said WHY a week oh cause you just hurt him and don't want others to see what you have done? 

Help is it meant to go back by now? they say there is too much over hang I don't know what that means.. 

UPDATE: So I went to the hospital today to complain about what was happened and explain I was told that you are never meant to force the foreskin down, and they replied with sometimes to examine the issue they need to do this. I said NO it never should be done. And why am I concerned, I said well cause he was ripped and bleeding. They were like oh do you want us to see him again. GOOD LORD no was my reply. I was like he is in school, then she was like OH it must not be that bad if he can go to school. I was like are you wanting him not to be able to walk or something, cause it seems like you are upset that he is in school. They totally dismissed me and my concerns. Also we still have no clue as to why son has a red penis, and he is urinating about 5-8 times an hour.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Replies (21-30):
lexxie28
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Usually the skin does not retract...at least with my husband it did not until he was older. If we have a son I will not circumcise.  Vaseline is good advise and letting it be is probably best. 

Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
go to thewholenetwork.org. Or drmomma.org. Or peacefuleparenting.org. Those are all pro intact sites. As long as he can pee fine, tell him to not touch it. Put some vaseline or neosporin on it and make an appt for his regular pedi.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
And you're totally NOT stupid, hun. It's an honest mistake. You don't have a penis do you? The dr should have known better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nickie76
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM
I have 4 boys none are circd and no one has ever had an issue. Im sorry your boy went through that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Punkslilncs
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Oh man that site helped me. Thanks so much. 

Quoting Groove:

NO! NONONONO! Oh, Momma. It was a dr who didn't know what to do w an intact boy. There are quite a few websites you can go to for information/help. Google "intactivism" and it should bring you to some awesome sites (silly me, I forgot the names)

Quoting Punkslilncs:

I really don't know what to do. I have been told so many things. They said he might need emergency surgery to remove all the skin... I was like why they said the skin hung over too much and I was like well isn't that what foreskin is. I should have just had him circumsized :( 

Punkslilncs
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:54 PM

OKAY, NOW I AM PISSED HE COULD DAMAGE MY SON PERMANTLY BY DOING WHAT HE DID TO HIM!!!  If you go to the site the person mentioned the intactivism... and look at the pictures of a circumcision, they basically did step 4 to him.. and the doctor tore part of him. OH MAN.

jamamama00
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:54 PM

NO, it should not be retracting by now! Good Lord. My pediatrician just saw a child whose daycare provider shoved her son's back and it "killed" the skin and he had to have surgery. It was a huge ordeal for him and very painful. She said NEVER let anyone try to retract the skin. Get him to a doc right away I guess?

Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:58 PM
go to thewholenetwork.org. They might be able to help you w making him feel better and if he did indeed cause damage (I'm thinking he ripped the frenulum behind the head?), they can help you w that as well.

Quoting Punkslilncs:

OKAY, NOW I AM PISSED HE COULD DAMAGE MY SON PERMANTLY BY DOING WHAT HE DID TO HIM!!!  If you go to the site the person mentioned the intactivism... and look at the pictures of a circumcision, they basically did step 4 to him.. and the doctor tore part of him. OH MAN.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonMother10
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Is your son 5 months or 5 years? They kept telling us to pull back my son's foreskin but we didn't have the heart to do it. I asked a friend of mine who has three boys and a cousin of mine who has a boy 3 1/2 older than my son. Their Pediatrician's said to leave it alone. Well when his 9 month checkup came around the Practitioner pulled back his foreskin, as the doctor had before. Luckily this time his skin can be pulled back and can clean his penis better. We always put petroleum jelly around the skin. We were thinking he was going to need to be circumcised. We would like to but it is too much money and it is only covered if it is for medical purposes. It is considered cosmetic otherwise, but my husband will teach him how to clean it and make sure he doesn't let the skin dry, otherwise is will leave him cuts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Punkslilncs
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM

He is five years old. And from everything I am learning you aren't meant to pull it back at all? I am so lost and wondering why doctors would think it is okay. 

Quoting DragonMother10:

Is your son 5 months or 5 years? They kept telling us to pull back my son's foreskin but we didn't have the heart to do it. I asked a friend of mine who has three boys and a cousin of mine who has a boy 3 1/2 older than my son. Their Pediatrician's said to leave it alone. Well when his 9 month checkup came around the Practitioner pulled back his foreskin, as the doctor had before. Luckily this time his skin can be pulled back and can clean his penis better. We always put petroleum jelly around the skin. We were thinking he was going to need to be circumcised. We would like to but it is too much money and it is only covered if it is for medical purposes. It is considered cosmetic otherwise, but my husband will teach him how to clean it and make sure he doesn't let the skin dry, otherwise is will leave him cuts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN