Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any moms here have a child that is not circumcised? TMI warning UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 5 and his foreskin doesn't retract. I took him into the er cause it hurts him and is red.. I thought he had a UTI, but the doctor is convinced that his foreskin should be retracting by now tried to shove it back and ripped him slightly. Then was like oh um wait a week then take him to the doctor so they can evaluate him, I said WHY a week oh cause you just hurt him and don't want others to see what you have done? 

Help is it meant to go back by now? they say there is too much over hang I don't know what that means.. 

UPDATE: So I went to the hospital today to complain about what was happened and explain I was told that you are never meant to force the foreskin down, and they replied with sometimes to examine the issue they need to do this. I said NO it never should be done. And why am I concerned, I said well cause he was ripped and bleeding. They were like oh do you want us to see him again. GOOD LORD no was my reply. I was like he is in school, then she was like OH it must not be that bad if he can go to school. I was like are you wanting him not to be able to walk or something, cause it seems like you are upset that he is in school. They totally dismissed me and my concerns. Also we still have no clue as to why son has a red penis, and he is urinating about 5-8 times an hour.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Replies (41-50):
RobinBright
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Nobody except your son should retract his foreskin.  

Quoting DragonMother10:

I don't know. The doctors would pull it back, but we left it alone. Does it hurt when he pees?

Quoting Punkslilncs:

He is five years old. And from everything I am learning you aren't meant to pull it back at all? I am so lost and wondering why doctors would think it is okay. 

Quoting DragonMother10:

Is your son 5 months or 5 years? They kept telling us to pull back my son's foreskin but we didn't have the heart to do it. I asked a friend of mine who has three boys and a cousin of mine who has a boy 3 1/2 older than my son. Their Pediatrician's said to leave it alone. Well when his 9 month checkup came around the Practitioner pulled back his foreskin, as the doctor had before. Luckily this time his skin can be pulled back and can clean his penis better. We always put petroleum jelly around the skin. We were thinking he was going to need to be circumcised. We would like to but it is too much money and it is only covered if it is for medical purposes. It is considered cosmetic otherwise, but my husband will teach him how to clean it and make sure he doesn't let the skin dry, otherwise is will leave him cuts.

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM

You should NEVER force the foreskin to retract. My boys are 7,3 and a week old and their foreskin has never been retracted it can cause infection and lesions. It will retract easily when it's ready. Maybe your son was pulling on it and it caused the red and soreness. Good Luck.

Punkslilncs
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM

They didn't tell me anything when I had him. I was a single mother, a rape victim, I just left him alone and thought things would sort out, but I have been told numerous things, one doctor told me I was meant to work the skin.. with vaseline, which horrified me and sounded very wrong, another said that it should be just cut away and is much easier to deal with, but now I am learning that what I was doing was fine just leave it alone. So many people have been misinformed about what to do I didn't know who to listen to. He has been through so many surgeries when he was born I didn't want them doing something that seemed pointless. No I didn't know anything about it and just left it be. I did check for yeast infections which he never got.. but still was clueless. I don't have a penis and my husband and I got married 2011.

Quoting SuperMommy22:

I honestly don't mean to sound rude, but if your son is uncircumsized and he is 5 years old how did you not know that the doctor shouldn't pull the foreskin back? Didn't you learn how to care for an uncircumsized penis when you had him? (Again, not trying to be rude and if it came across as that I am sorry.)

Punkslilncs
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I knew something was wrong cause my son is in sever pain and the bleeding other than that I didn't know and now feel so stupid cause I didn't know.. I guess people just think mom's know it all?

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

I have no experience with an uncircumcised penis, and even I know what that doctor did was wrong! 

kansasmom1978
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM

My kids are circumsized but that is not cool. I would file a complaint for sure. And if you have the doctors name make sure you file it with the medical board too. Even our doctor says not to force it.

DragonMother10
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Well it retracts back with no problem. You need to clean it.

Quoting RobinBright:

Nobody except your son should retract his foreskin.  

Quoting DragonMother10:

I don't know. The doctors would pull it back, but we left it alone. Does it hurt when he pees?

Quoting Punkslilncs:

He is five years old. And from everything I am learning you aren't meant to pull it back at all? I am so lost and wondering why doctors would think it is okay. 

Quoting DragonMother10:

Is your son 5 months or 5 years? They kept telling us to pull back my son's foreskin but we didn't have the heart to do it. I asked a friend of mine who has three boys and a cousin of mine who has a boy 3 1/2 older than my son. Their Pediatrician's said to leave it alone. Well when his 9 month checkup came around the Practitioner pulled back his foreskin, as the doctor had before. Luckily this time his skin can be pulled back and can clean his penis better. We always put petroleum jelly around the skin. We were thinking he was going to need to be circumcised. We would like to but it is too much money and it is only covered if it is for medical purposes. It is considered cosmetic otherwise, but my husband will teach him how to clean it and make sure he doesn't let the skin dry, otherwise is will leave him cuts.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RobinBright
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM

You only need to be clean what you can see-- just like you don't clean the inside of a little girl's vagina, only the outer skin.  

Quoting DragonMother10:

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

DragonMother10
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Well my husband has an circumcised penis, and I am sure he knows about it more than women do.

Quoting RobinBright:

You only need to be clean what you can see-- just like you don't clean the inside of a little girl's vagina, only the outer skin.  

Quoting DragonMother10:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Punkslilncs
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't be so sure about that my husband was like I didn't know you weren't meant to make it go back.. mine goes back and I don't remember when I was younger... The doctor who hurt my son was male... 

Quoting DragonMother10:

Well my husband has an circumcised penis, and I am sure he knows about it more than women do.

Quoting RobinBright:

Quoting DragonMother10:

TheLadyAmalthea
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM

You trusted the doctor, that's ok. A doctor is supposed to know. He should have known better. It's not your fault!

Quoting Punkslilncs:

I knew something was wrong cause my son is in sever pain and the bleeding other than that I didn't know and now feel so stupid cause I didn't know.. I guess people just think mom's know it all?

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

I have no experience with an uncircumcised penis, and even I know what that doctor did was wrong! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)