Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sending your kid to school in ripped jeans

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 134 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you send your child to school with a hole in the knee of their jeans?

Options:

Sure, why not?

No way

Other (explain if you like)

I like potatoes.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 250

View Results

My daughter came home from school yesterday with a hole in the knee of her jeans. No biggie; she got plenty of use out of them, so I wasn't upset or anything. I made a comment to the sitter about buying her a new pair and she said "Why? It's just a hole in the knee - she can still wear them to school."

I hadn't really thought of it that way. I don't think I would send her to school like that, though. Especially when it's so cold out.

So...what say you? Is it okay to send your child to school with a hole in the knee of their jeans?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM

depends how big are we talking?

mom_3.0
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM

No. They wear uniforms but on Fridays can wear jeans. However, the ripped-knee jeans are for leisure  only. When they go to school we expect them to look nice. Not like bums. 

mavery523
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM
9 moms liked this

little holes in jeans is in fashion right now. Some people pay BIG bucks for holey jeans :)

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Nope,no ripped jeans for my daughter unless for some reason we absolutely could not afford to buy her more at the time.

nerdymom28
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Quoting notjstasocermom:

depends how big are we talking?

The hole or the kid? lol

She's 6 years old and the hole is on the knee, maybe about a 2 inch hole from left to right. Just your standard hole, caused by stress in the fabric. She's had them for awhile. The hole kinda looks like this:

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I think its fine. My kids have tears in the knees of some of their jeans, they still wear them to school. They don't wear them to church (though they also don't wear jeans to church) or to nicer places, but if they are going to school, I don't care. They wear their jeans until they either don't fit, if they have a hole in a place thats a problem, I sew them up, if its just their knees, I let them be. Most kids in their school wear jeans with ripped knees, its a style right now. A lot of jeans are bought with holes in the knees.

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

yeah Id still let them wear those to school.

Momma-Bearof3
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
My DD is 6 and intentionally rips her jeans bc she is a fashionista lol
To me it doesn't matter bc it shows individuality and style if ppl have an issue, it's there problem. I know I buy my children nice clothes even name brands. She just chooses to be different which I praise her to be. If ur child is comfortable , then let her be. Ppl worry WAY too much about appearance.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
the.lilangel
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

When my kids get hole in there jeans we either cut them into play shorts for summer or find a patch they like and patch them up. My oldest is 6 and she does not go to school with holes in her jeans, unless it has been patched. If she wants to when shes older that her choice.

luvmyaustin
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Sew a cute patch over it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN