Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I know there is no cure for the flu but......

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 39 Replies

What do you do for your little one while they have it? My dd is 7 and is miserable. So far the only thing I am giving her is ibuprofen to help control her fever and a cool wet towel for her forehead. She is hungry but she keep throwing up, so now I'm just giving her water. Any advice?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Get her gatorade, pedialyte or make koolaid for her.   Also 7up or Canada dry ginger ale will help.   I also offer jello to help.  Gatorade and pedialyte have the electrolytes to help keep dehydration away.  I am presuming you are waiting 30 mins to an hour after the last vomiting spell to offer any type of fluids.  Even then only sips despite the urge to gulp it down.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM
4 moms liked this
Well, depending on how high her fever is, you might want to stop the Tylenol. Fevers are the body's way of burning up the illness, so if it's not running super high, let it burn to get it out of her system sooner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissa916
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I did give her 7up as well as water. Water for after throwing up and the 7up for when she feels a little better. I'll have dh pick up some Gatorade on his way home, but what do I do about food? I feel bad that she is hungry but I don't want her to throw up tons of food. All she has had all day is saltine crackers :(

It's been so long since one of my kids got the flu I forgot what to do, lol!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Get her gatorade, pedialyte or make koolaid for her.   Also 7up or Canada dry ginger ale will help.   I also offer jello to help.  Gatorade and pedialyte have the electrolytes to help keep dehydration away.  I am presuming you are waiting 30 mins to an hour after the last vomiting spell to offer any type of fluids.  Even then only sips despite the urge to gulp it down.

melissa916
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Good advice, I didn't think of that. I'll just give it to her for bedtime so she can sleep and then let her sweat it out during the day. I just hate seeing her like this :(

Quoting beadingmom17:

Well, depending on how high her fever is, you might want to stop the Tylenol. Fevers are the bodies way of burning up the illness, so if it's not running super high, let it burn to get it out of her system sooner.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Have husband look at the premade jello cups.  Those are mild for the stomach and offer her tongue a different flavor.   Also perhaps if she likes popsicles have those for her to slowly suck on.  DD is 6 and we still get the slow melt minis rather than full size.   Chicken broth, toast (no spreads, mashed potatoes may even work.   I would not give her solids though until it has been 3 hrs since last vomitting spell even though she is hungry.  Some times you have to starve out the flu.

Quoting melissa916:

I did give her 7up as well as water. Water for after throwing up and the 7up for when she feels a little better. I'll have dh pick up some Gatorade on his way home, but what do I do about food? I feel bad that she is hungry but I don't want her to throw up tons of food. All she has had all day is saltine crackers :(

It's been so long since one of my kids got the flu I forgot what to do, lol!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Lizard_Lina
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Doesn't gatorade have flame retardent in it?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Eewww. Wouldn't doubt it, but haven't heard it

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I used to give my kids 7-up (room temp) when they had the flu.  They would throw up water but did better keeping the 7-up down.  Then I'd try to get them to eat a few Saltine crackers when they were feeling a little bit better, and that helped too.  I hope yours is feeling better soon.  I know I used to hate seeing my kids sick when they were little. 

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Vitamin c, vitamin d
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Hmm dont know.  Last i heard a few of the flavors have oil in them but many of the clear ones (i think are free of that as well).  The blue flavors were the ones with the added stuff.     OP there is also smart water which is water w/ electrolytes added but no sugara/flavors/dye added.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)