Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Completely devastated UPDATE

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM
  • 37 Replies

My parent's home was burglarized in broad daylight today! They tore apart their whole house and took all of my mom's jewelry (including family heirlooms), her brand new camera, their ipods, cash that my dad has been saving for years, and a bunch of other stuff.  The entry points were all destroyed and will have to be completely replaced.  Whoever did this hit several other homes in their neighborhood as well. 

What really makes me sick is that a neighbor admitted that she was coming home from the hospital at 2am the other morning and saw a group of 10 or so people in their 20s hanging out in the alley and she did nothing.  That is extremely unusual for their neighborhood, so it makes no sense to me that they wouldn't pick up a phone and call the local police.  

My parents are devastated and I feel useless being on the other side of the country.  I wish we were close by so that I could have offered them a place to stay.  I wish we had the money to replace the items that are replaceable.  I am heartbroken that someone took away my parent's sense of security.  

My parents called and said that my dad found all of the cash that he has stashed over the years, which is a big deal for them.  It seems that they hit the jackpot on my mom's room and just kind of riffled through the rest of the house. They went over everything in the house again today and realized that these sick people stole my daughter's piggy bank and a frame that had her picture in it. I hope they find these scumbags before they cause any more harm to my hometown.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

it surprises you that the neighbor did nothing???  How many posts have you read here?

I am so very sorry for your parents I can't even imagine how violated they must feel.  

KMAsMommy9182
by Toujours Raison on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Where my parents live, yes it surprises me.  My mom says she is past the sadness and is downright angry.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

it surprises you that the neighbor did nothing???  How many posts have you read here?

I am so very sorry for your parents I can't even imagine how violated they must feel.  

Nothonnadoit
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I'm so sorry that happened.  That would shake a person up for sure.  Is their neighborhood normally safe?  

I hope they have insurance but nothing can replace their loss of a sense of security.

Due9
by your-bff on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM

That is awful. I even feel bad for your parents. I have a strong hatred for thieves (especially ones that target older people) ...they should all get their hands chopped off, at the least.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM

We had this happen last summer in our neighborhood.  We formed a neighborhood watch after that and i was amazed how many people just assumed everything is good because we live in a good neighborhood and most have been in their houses since they were built 20 years ago and never had a problem.  As the officer pointed out to them that its a nice neighborhood is why they came. Also with so many people both gone all day...One neighbors 10 yr old walked in after school on them.  Luckily all they did was shove her down as they ran out.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

Where my parents live, yes it surprises me.  My mom says she is past the sadness and is downright angry.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

KMAsMommy9182
by Toujours Raison on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM

The whole city has a really high rate of safety.  The police there are kind of over the top, so most people will actually avoid coming through the city if at all possible.  They are the kind of cops that write tickets for jaywalking.  Their neighborhood in particular, has never actually had any problems prior to this.

They do have insurance, but without appraisals on the jewelry they will most likely not be covered.  And, of course, my dad's cash is just gone.  I think my parents will get past all of it, except the jewelry that came from my grandma.

Quoting Nothonnadoit:

I'm so sorry that happened.  That would shake a person up for sure.  Is their neighborhood normally safe?  

I hope they have insurance but nothing can replace their loss of a sense of security.

iwanabemomie
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM
I'm sorry :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KMAsMommy9182
by Toujours Raison on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:01 AM

That is very similar to their neighborhood.  Even more of a reason why this neighbor should have known that those people were out of place there.  I would have been petrified if my child walked in on a break-in.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

We had this happen last summer in our neighborhood.  We formed a neighborhood watch after that and i was amazed how many people just assumed everything is good because we live in a good neighborhood and most have been in their houses since they were built 20 years ago and never had a problem.  As the officer pointed out to them that its a nice neighborhood is why they came. Also with so many people both gone all day...One neighbors 10 yr old walked in after school on them.  Luckily all they did was shove her down as they ran out.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

KMAsMommy9182
by Toujours Raison on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Thank you.

Quoting iwanabemomie:

I'm sorry :-(

LABELmeCUTE
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:15 AM
That not only makes me sad,but angry also! Why steal from people who've worked hard for everything that they have?! That pisses me off! Do your parents have an alarm system
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)