Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Clean Freaks, Answer My Question!

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 13 Replies

So, long story short, my mom moved out of her house and I moved in. I'm cleaning. I got to the stove top (gas) and started doing my usual. But then when I got down and close, I can see caked on grease. It's bad, especially on the top metal cage thingy that goes over the gas burners. The stove is black, so it's hard to see. I've tried Windex and Dawn soap. It's still there. Should I go out and get some industrial strength degreaser? Super strong Magic Eraser? I'm not a clean freak, but I at least like to keep my house somewhat clean. This is just gross. Help me!!!!

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StrangeDays
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Soak the burner cover in HOT water, white vinegar and baking soda for a while.. then scrub with steel wool or a coarse brush to get it all off. No matter what, you're going to need to use lots of elbow grease, unless you buy a toxic cleanser that would be worse for you than the grease itself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MunchiesMom324
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

OH MY GOD!!! YOUR AVI!!!  

Sorry.  My most favorite movie ever :)

Now back to the point of your post... I would get some of the heavy-duty stuff.  Good luck!

JessicaRee
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM
The best way I've ever found to clean those grates is to throw them in a fire then dunk them in cold water while they're still hot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylawv2
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Vinegar and baking soda and a brillo pad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenie63
by Nancy on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Soak in hot water with dish soap, then brillo. Magic eraser is good for stains but not this. 

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM
I push the button that says CLEAN and take a nap. I can put my grates in there but i have pro quality. I'd check with the manufacturer
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM

toothpaste

Sassy762
by Emerald Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM

How to Clean Burner Grates On A Gas Stove

How to Clean Burner Grates On A Gas Stove thumbnail
The burner grates are placed over the gas burner.

Gas stoves have metal burner grates that sit over the burners. Because of the open flame, the pots and pans must be placed above the heating element, rather than directly on top like an electric range. If food spills onto the burner grate, it may become stuck due to high cooking temperatures. Fortunately, the burner grates on a gas stove are removable, and may be cleaned using standard household items. Does this Spark an idea?

Things You'll Need

• Warm water
  • Dish washing soap
  • Non-abrasive scrub pad

Instructions

Allow the grates to cool prior after use.

Lift the grates up and off of the stove to remove. Place the racks in warm, soapy water and allow them to soak to loosen the cooked-on food, if necessary.

Scrub the grates using a non-abrasive scrubbing pad, using warm, soapy water to remove any cooked-on food.

Place the grates in your dishwasher, and wash the racks using the "Pots and Pans" setting, or the heaviest setting available.

Ensure that the grates are completely dry prior to placing them back onto the stove.

Read more: How to Clean Burner Grates On A Gas Stove | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4821310_clean-burner-grates-gas-stove.html#ixzz2JmWBm3l5
momofsunshine77
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I am a clean freak, so i never let it get that bad EVER!!  I constantly clean LOL.

Try SOS pad?

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM

While soaking them and elbow grease will probably help there's a better way. Get some "Goop," it's a degreasing hand cleaner that mechanics and such use. Take a big handful of it and put it in a bowl and add a cup or so of baking soda. Mix it well and add more of one or the other until you get a nice paste. Apply it to the grates, covering every bit of them, and let them sit with it on overnight. Then put them in a dishpan and add the hottest water you can and a good amount of dish soap. Now let them soak, again overnight. That should leave them all but clean. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)