Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should i buy a small tablet for my 2 and half year old boy *updated*

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you buy a tablet for 2 and half year old toddler?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 162

View Results

My son is 2 years and a half old and he is always playing with my cell phone games and now my phone charge is always drained and I'm debating with my husband if i should buy a small tablet for him so he can play his games, would you do it?

updated

I have been reading all your comments and i have been doing research and I'm pretty sure that the tablet that I'm going to buy is the inno tab 2 for my ds because is a tablet that is builtvery well for kids so im sure that my dsis not going to break it and it has a lot of games that he can play and learn while he plays, and i decided on that because i think that he can used it more than one that is not design for kids, and i don't have to worry about him breaking it, and even though that fits my son better my best friend got her son and ipad and he is the same age as mine and he uses it and has a lot of fun with it so i respect the people that do decided to get the ipad or other more expensive tablets because the kids will grow and will eventually need something better. And for the people that were asking my son plays outside and he is in a perfect weight  my husband is in the navy so we all have and active live and he has lots of toys including legos, trucks and many other toys and the tablet is something that he would use with moderation.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Replies (61-70):
Danielitosmom
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Yeah im pretty sure that im going to het him the inno tab i have been researching it and it looks good for him.

Quoting fallenangel_353:

You could also get him a kid version of a tablet, like an innotab or something like that. Doesnt have to be a real tablet. Childrens tablets are much more durable, and made specifically for them :) My 4 yr old has one and she loves it. IDK if I would get one for a 2 yr old, however at 2, mine were so not ready for anything like that. We played hands on games and colored and such.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I would get him a tablet made for kids like the vtech.

doulala
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting AmberKS:
Quoting doulala

It's not just obesity and coordination, it's also learning how to think, it's learning how to create their own entertainment, how to play when they become bored.    Busying children with more to do isn't generally healthful.

Exactly!  

Yes, I know what you are talking about, I see it with children too (on the other end with the little ones).

Check out this video for some thoughts on choices, stuff, overscheduling, toys, books, screen time...

and

Simplify!!

melodynewsome
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Dd is 5 and had an old iPod touch that has games and learning items. We want to buy an IPad but only see needing 1 since it will be a family one mainly mine and DD's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ImATERRORIST
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Bought my dd an apple iPad 2 on her 2nd birthday... Yep.. She's loves it and she is learning so much from the educational apps... It doesn't matter which tablet you get just add only educational apps for him. 

LadyDiamond927
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM
My granddaughter rec'd her tablet at 5. I bought her a kindle fire to keep at my house when she visits.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trainlady
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Absolutely not. This child needs to learn to look around him and see the world and not just some toy in his hands. Also, kids nowadays are totally immersed in video games and are brain trained to do nothing but that. Its fine to learn how to run these machines but they should not be the only thing they learn. They are now finding out that these video games are impacting the children to anger rages and this is causing some of the murders we are seeing an increase in. Let him have his primary years with normal old fashioned toys that he can handle and play with easily. Don't strain a 2 year-olds eyesight using video or Ipads or cell phones. Just think of the strain on his eyes that are just developing. Its wonderful that he is curious about your cell phone but don't encourage that behavior until he is ready. If you want him to continue this curiousty buy him a toy phone from ToysRUs or some place like that where you can get things associated to his ge.

lovebienmom
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

At 2 years old I would not. Seems like a waste of money when you can enjoy more one on one moments. Within a few years you wont be able to get their heads away from computers, video games and other electronic entertainment. I believe too much emphasis is placed on these types of toys/equipment. Look at the adults today, some would have severe seperation anxiety if you took their iphone away. I say more emphasis on nature walks, books or arts and crafts.

Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Buy him a small tablet to play his games on. 

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! Great idea - he'll enjoy it!:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN