Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should i buy a small tablet for my 2 and half year old boy *updated*

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you buy a tablet for 2 and half year old toddler?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 162

View Results

My son is 2 years and a half old and he is always playing with my cell phone games and now my phone charge is always drained and I'm debating with my husband if i should buy a small tablet for him so he can play his games, would you do it?

updated

I have been reading all your comments and i have been doing research and I'm pretty sure that the tablet that I'm going to buy is the inno tab 2 for my ds because is a tablet that is builtvery well for kids so im sure that my dsis not going to break it and it has a lot of games that he can play and learn while he plays, and i decided on that because i think that he can used it more than one that is not design for kids, and i don't have to worry about him breaking it, and even though that fits my son better my best friend got her son and ipad and he is the same age as mine and he uses it and has a lot of fun with it so i respect the people that do decided to get the ipad or other more expensive tablets because the kids will grow and will eventually need something better. And for the people that were asking my son plays outside and he is in a perfect weight  my husband is in the navy so we all have and active live and he has lots of toys including legos, trucks and many other toys and the tablet is something that he would use with moderation.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Replies (71-80):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I bought my 2 yo a leappad. He loves that thing. He also enjoys some iphone time or Kindle time. He borrows ours.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM
2 moms liked this

You have a very limited world view.

My children have every electronic known to man, iPads, Mac books, kindle fire, PS3, Xbox, vita, Wii, etc, etc...guess what?  My kids would still prefer to be outside running around, or at the park, or swimming, or at the zoo or a museum.  Neither of my children are obese and my 9 year old daughter is a social butterfly who is on her quick recall academic team at school, reads on a high school level and is doing 8th grade math.

there is such a thing as "moderation".  Just because someone has something doesn't mean they don't engage in other activities.  My 2 year old has her own iPad, she is still sitting on the  floor right now putting mega blocks together and playing with her Melissa and Doug puzzles, she hasn't even looked at her iPad today.

Weight loss is 90% diet and 10% activity.  These kids are obese because instead of eating 4 chicken nuggets, they eat 20.   Instead of drinking a 6 ounce soda as a treat, they drink five 20 ounce sodas a day, instead of eating a piece of fruit they are downing fruit juice. 

Electronics aren't the problem.  Shitty parenting IS the problem.

Quoting AmberKS:

Quoting Danielitosmom:

And you would have the same result if you sat down with him and did puzzles together.

I find some of these posts very sad. A 3 year old with an kindle, iTouch, iPod, and iPad? That's insane. 3 year olds need to be running, playing, and learning eye hand coordination that you can only get from playing with toys like Lego's and learning how they fit together.

This is why we have obese children. They learn at an early age to be plugged in instead of interactive with the world leaving us with a generation of totally socially inept kids. I work with teenagers and see the effects of it all the time.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

And yet her you are, conversing away on an electronic device with strangers on an Internet forum, ironic and hypocritical.

i must go get ready now so I can take my socially inept, fat children to Barnes and Noble for story time and to pick outlooks, then we will go to lunch and to a kids activity center to play.

And yet Quoting AmberKS:

"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein

Danielitosmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I have been doing a lot of re search on it and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to buy the innova 2 because it looks very sturdy and is made for kids and I know that he is going to be able to use most of the games and because is build very sturdy I don't think that he will break it.

Quoting legobaby:

It sounds like you disagree with others who have said this, so I don't expect you to agree with me either, but I'm also of the opinion that a tablet is too large an expense for a child who shouldn't be on it very often according to all the experts.

If I want to buy my 2 year old a really expensive toy, I want it to be something I feel comfortable with him/her using really often to make it worth the expense. 

I have a Kindle, and DH and I both have iPhones.  The kids (3.5 and 17 months) do use them for games or watch television shows on them, but it's very limited.  I just can't justify the expense for something they aren't going to be allowed to use more often.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
merkitaminasi
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

my son is 2 1/2 yrs old and he loves to watch sesame street and youtube videos of airplanes and helicopters on his grandmas tablet so i'm getting him his own...but he has to b supervised... i was going to get him the innotab 2 but it only plays vtech games and he cant access much variety... havent decided which tablet he's getting but it wont b over $200

~Sadie Lady~

MommyTo5Boys
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Maybe a Leap Pad?

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
lizmeek
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
We got my ds a nabitablet. Loves it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CarolinaGirl88
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll admit, half the reason why I wanted a tablet is so that my daughter could play on it too. We both use my iPad and iPhone, and she's pretty tech savvy now lol. I do use it a lot too though. I think if you were to get one just for your two year old, maybe do like one of the children's ones, like the LeapPad. If it's something that you're also going to be using though, maybe go with one of the regular tablets but be sure to get a protective cover for it for those times that you let him use it. 

ladysamanda
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I would recommend it. I purchased one Nabi via Layaway at Wal-Mart. $200.00 for my 5 year old X-Mas present. He was SOOOO HAPPY! He plays with it daily, and I swear, it has helped SO much with his voca, math and spelling. He has improved very well. He let it where his 3 year old brother could find it, and guess what? His brother LOVED it. He DOES have a harder time using it, but I help him, and he thinks it's a riot! Guess who HAD to purchase another one?? GOSH, I wish they had layaway ALL YEAR!

Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
DS is 5 and has had his iPad since he is 3. It has tons of education games and he has never come close to breaking it. It's great during car rides. We have tons of movies and games on it. He has even mastered you tube.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)