Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should dude have made the cake or not?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 116 Replies

By Mike Benner

KGW-TV
updated 2/2/2013 5:53:52 PM ET2013-02-02T22:53:52

GRESHAM, Ore. - The Oregon Department of Justice is looking into a complaint that a Gresham bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a same sex marriage.

It started on Jan. 17 when a mother and daughter showed up at Sweet Cakes by Melissa looking for the perfect wedding cake.

"My first question is what's the wedding date," said owner Aaron Klein. "My next question is bride and groom's name ... the girl giggled a little bit and said it's two brides."

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for same-sex marriages. Klein said the women were disgusted and walked out.

"I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God," said Klein. "A man should leave his mother and father and cling to his wife ... that to me is the beginning of marriage."

At the advice of their attorney, the women are not speaking to the media, but they have plenty of support. Numerous people have blasted the Klein's on the internet.

What Klein wants to make clear is that he and his wife do not hate homosexuals.

"They can buy my stuff," said Klein. "I'll sell them stuff ... I'll talk to them, it's fine."

What is not fine, according to Klein, is a marriage between people of the same sex. He will always stand by that conviction.

"I'd rather have my kids see their dad stand up for what he believes in then to see him bow down because one person complained."

ORS 659A.403 is the law in question. In short, it prohibits discrimination in places of public accommodation. Klein and his wife have two weeks to respond to the Oregon Department of Justice's inquiry into what happened.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:01 PM
3 moms liked this

NO if he doesnt want to for whatever reason that is his choice.

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM
4 moms liked this
I feel that as a business owner he has the right to say he will not take a job making a wedding cake for someone. It's his business and his time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DayDreamer1201
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM
4 moms liked this

its a damn cake... go to a different bakery... No one should have made a big deal out of it. He has his rights as the owner of a bakery to refuse service to anyone. Just like all restaurants. 

TheMrs407
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm very pro equal rights as well as pro business rights to have the freedom to do as they see fit for business.

However I have a hard time seeing the difference in this and refusing service to an interracial couple. It's not okay. It spreads hate. It's discrimination.
If he's refusing service based on the couple sinning then should refuse service to everyone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Taking it too far.  Suing over someone NOT making a cake?  That is too far. 

Is his personal and religious beliefs going to be stomped into the ground now?  Isn't that like saying he has no right to his religious freedom because it may be considered discriminatory?  I am wondering how this works.

WendyJR
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a private business, and now where i may not agree with him, he does have the right to serve who he wants. It's his choice.

Chrissy0918
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Quoting WendyJR:

It's a private business, and now where i may not agree with him, he does have the right to serve who he wants. It's his choice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Do christians think they are the first religion to do marriages? Cuz they arent
blondie.mom
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Yup, this.

Quoting WendyJR:

do11face
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you.

Quoting TheMrs407:

I'm very pro equal rights as well as pro business rights to have the freedom to do as they see fit for business.

However I have a hard time seeing the difference in this and refusing service to an interracial couple. It's not okay. It spreads hate. It's discrimination.

If he's refusing service based on the couple sinning then should refuse service to everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)