Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

HELP! How do I de-snot-ify this baby!?!?!?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 28 Replies

My baby girl has a cold, and is producing BUCKETS of snot these past few days. She's also developed a throat infection so she's on antibiotics. I usually nurse her to sleep and we are having SUCH a tough time lately because she can't nurse and breathe at the same time. She tries to nurse, un- latches, then tries again, then unlatches again, then cries.

Here's our night time routine, (since she's been sick); I give her the antibiotic, sometimes also infants Tylenol if I get the impression her throat hurts. Then I take her to the bathroom, get the bathroom all steamy, plugging the tub and putting Eucalyptis Peppermint Epsom salt in there. Then I use a baby saline nose spray on her. Then I wipe her nose with a warm wet cloth. Then I suction out her nose with the snot sucker. Then I wipe her nose some more. Then I put ponaris homeopathic nose drops in her nose. Then I put Vicks Vapo Rub on her chest. Then we go to bed and I turn on the Vicks Vapo Steam Vaporizer with the Vicks Vapo Steam liquid in it. Then I nurse her to sleep, (or try). None of this really seems to work, it just makes her super angry. Anyone have any better ideas?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Sounds like you are doing everything you can. It is just one of those things that has to run its course.
The only other possible thing is to actually take the baby in the warm shower with you to get more of the steam of the shower.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Holy crap.  I would be angry to if all that is done in one day.   Is she coughing as well?  If not do not use the vicks at all.  How old is she?   I would ask her doctor what should be done in a typical day or around bedtime to help her be more comfortable.

loisl25
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Yeah, I thought of that but then I'd have to make the water less hot, and maybe it wouldn't be steamy enough.

Quoting crwspringer:

Sounds like you are doing everything you can. It is just one of those things that has to run its course.
The only other possible thing is to actually take the baby in the warm shower with you to get more of the steam of the shower.

piwife
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM
R u sure is not rsv? Or something worse? Any fever? Breastmilk in the nose
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loisl25
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM

The Dr. just said she had a throat infection.

Quoting piwife:

R u sure is not rsv? Or something worse? Any fever? Breastmilk in the nose

loisl25
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM

bump

adrianasmommy07
by Kristin on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Have you considered doing less? Cool mist humidifiers work much better for runny noses in my experience. And just do more frequent suction without the extra fluid from the saline. If her nose is already running she doesn't need that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Poor baby! It's so hard when they are tiny and sick. I did notice though that giving them a bottle instead of nursing seemed to help some of the frustration as its easier to get the milk out of a bottle
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SparklePants
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM

It sounds like too much, when my (at the time) 2 month old had a runny nose before Xmas all I did was use a cool air humidifyer in the room, put a blanket under the top of his crib mattress (to keep him elevated) and then used the nose Freda when needed (don't just do it to do, do it when the baby is struggeling, if you keep sticking things in her nose it will irritate it and hurt her)

You don't need the salene if your doing the steam and humifier, my dr me there's no point if your doing that because they do the same thing (loosen up the mucus) basically less is more, let the humifier and meds do their jobs

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM
You will get more humidity into the nose while in the shower. Ever been to a waterfall? Even the cool water has more "mist" in the air than not in it.

Quoting loisl25:

Yeah, I thought of that but then I'd have to make the water less hot, and maybe it wouldn't be steamy enough.

Quoting crwspringer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN