Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

whats essential for a baby as far as gear?

Posted by   + Show Post
So im expecting a new baby soon and im trying to get everything i need. i already have a crib and ive picked out a 4 drawer chest i.want. im not trying to spend boocoodles.of money but im not trying to be a cheapskate either. do i NEED a changing table,pack and play,swing,bouncer,bassinet ect? i found a graco whitney travel system i like on sale or i found a used one for 75.just need insight.
Forgot to.add have a breastfeeding pillow already and im buying.a bumbo
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
supermom0609
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Theres one for 79 on walmart.com

Quoting Meghan6391:

I got mine at babiesrus it was 117 i wouldn't have bought it bc i can't afford to spend that on things but my mother bought it for me. Look on craigslist or at thrift stores

Quoting supermom0609:

I want a swing but i want it to.plug in. d batteries are too dang expensive

Quoting Meghan6391:

I always get a changing table and then realize i never use it. The swings are great to have to be honest and you can always find them on sale. My needs have always been, a bed, sheets and blankets, bottles and binkies, a baby tub and bath things, a swing and a pack and play. Those are just my needs along with diapers and clothes.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM

A glider chair is nice to have
As far as strollers I'd recommend a skeleton stroller. It saves a ton of trunk space and its light.
Vibrating bouncy seat saved my sanity many a night!
ID get a travel high chair that just straps into a regular chair. Saves a lot of space!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM

None of the things you mentioned are needed.    (Car seat is if driving though~)
It all depends on your budget and interests, and also depends on what kind of parenting you want to do.
You can save a lot of money with Attatchment Parenting, for example.

If you don't want to get a changing table you could just use a towel (and pad if you like) on your bed or floor.  Some folks don't even diaper-  another option too.

;-)

GL!

me-n-mygirls
by Shontell on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM
a swing/bouncer/saucer....something to strap baby in and can be use when they get a lil bigger.
bed, carseat, and clothes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianasmommy07
by Kristin on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM
New carseat. Used is not a good idea unless you trust them with your life. Stroller ia a lifesaver for me. I do use my changing table this time but it can be lived without. Swing or bouncer, you only have to have 1. Bath tub. Pack and play is you think baby will aleep at anyones house ever, plus you can use as a bassinet/changing table at home.
cLanief
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM
You Must have at the least.... clothes, diapers, wipes, spit up rags, blankies, if you ff then bottles and formula.... if you bf.. a good pillow or boppy... carseat.... and my personal favorite was my kids swing. They last longer than a bouncy. That's the essentials
Krysta622
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM
I would say a swing OR a bouncy chair if you can't get both. A sling or wrap is a must have for me. Changing table not necessary but helpful. Pack and play useful for travel if you don't co sleep
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Changing tables are just a waste of money and space. Get a good travel changing pad, its all you will ever need.
A swing or bouncer is essential, a good baby wrap is really useful as well. Lots if cloth diapers. They make awesome burp rags and are good for cleaning up pretty much any spill.. and if you run out of disposables you will have them handy until you get more. That is if you are going to use sposies.
lots of clothes. They blow through them fast In the first couple of months. The strollers that recline are really great for the little ones too. I can't tell you how many naps mine have taken in the stroller.
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:33 PM

We repurposed a dry sink as the changing table.  It was the right height AND had storage underneath.  You could use the dresser as a changing table if it is the right height.  Just drill a hole in the back of the dresser to accomodate a strap.  You shouldn't need to do anything to the drawer, as there is usually a "headroom" gap for the drawer, staple the strap to the inside top or front of the dresser and let the strap rest inside the drawer when not in use.  

You can get one of those co-sleeping playpens that are multi-functional... a bassinet and play pen.  

I think they now have swinger/bouncers that are low to the ground for infants. 

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM

A moby wrap or carrier is good even for sahm's.  It lets you get stuff done when they go thru the clingy stage and don't want to be put down.  You can also nurse on with the wrap too!

Quoting supermom0609:

No i stay home

Quoting piwife:

A good baby carrier( like an ergo, moby, mei tai, ktan, bobba) not a crappy jeep or baby bjor. a swing and bouncy seat. If. You plan on nursing 2 -3 nursing tops. 2-3 nursing bras. Are you a working mom?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN