Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

whats essential for a baby as far as gear?

Posted by   + Show Post
So im expecting a new baby soon and im trying to get everything i need. i already have a crib and ive picked out a 4 drawer chest i.want. im not trying to spend boocoodles.of money but im not trying to be a cheapskate either. do i NEED a changing table,pack and play,swing,bouncer,bassinet ect? i found a graco whitney travel system i like on sale or i found a used one for 75.just need insight.
Forgot to.add have a breastfeeding pillow already and im buying.a bumbo
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (21-30):
A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM
A baby carrier. My baby is 4 months and I use that thing a lot. I need both hands free when I'm out with her and my 5 year old.
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

A combo carseat and stroller is nice too.  But what is really, really nice is the carseat carrier.  It is more compact and lighter than a stroller and will fit under grocery carts.  I had one and loved it.  See if you can find one used.  I really only needed it for the first six months.  After my dd could sit up, I just put her in the stroller or in the grocery cart seat.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Depends on the situation; depends on the child.

A lot of Things that were a necessity for ds were a waste of money for dd.

But if I were to pick out universals, I'd say a baby swing, crib, carseat with a stroller that you can use after they grow out of the infant seat (I got a graco click connect jogger), and a good convertable seat.

Changing table was great when we had ds because it was part of a set and it was in his nursery. Dd shares our room so there's no room and no use since we don't change her there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM
This absolutely. I had a baby trend seat and a frame stroller for it. I have to walk half a mile to get ds so it was a dream to carry down stairs.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

A combo carseat and stroller is nice too.  But what is really, really nice is the carseat carrier.  It is more compact and lighter than a stroller and will fit under grocery carts.  I had one and loved it.  See if you can find one used.  I really only needed it for the first six months.  After my dd could sit up, I just put her in the stroller or in the grocery cart seat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inspain
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM

No bumbo.  Those things are dangerous.

DD2 is 14 weeks and I haven't used the Bugaboo stroller my friends loaned me even once.  I'm just using carriers.  At first a Moby and now an Ergo and a Maya sling.  

We're also using a play-mat, a pack-n-play and a mobile moblie (I can clip it to anything).  She hates the swing and the bouncy chair.  

We've used Bum Genius diapers since she hit 8 lbs and we have a dresser/changing table.  I also have a Diaper Dude diaper bag.  

Otherwise, we have yet to use the crib (it's DD1's old one) and I only use the carrier/carseat when we ride in the car.  I never take it out.

Oh and this whole breastfeeding ride has been made easier by a My Breast Friend feeding pillow.

I have no plans of dealing with the stroller until I can't carry her comfortably anymore.

Collier3
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I would say a pack n play that has the bassinet attachment, unless you plan on putting the crib in your room.  You will be getting up so much for the first month or more in the middle of the night, and it is so nice to have the baby right there with you. I had a co sleeper that we used in the bed with us for the first month and then into the pack play for another 2 months before we moved DD to her crib in her room.

The other thing that I know I loved was a alittle carrier/organizer I got at target to hold diipers/wipes etc. It has pockets and a handle I could carry everything I needed to any part of my house and have it handy.

We bought a swing and my DD hated it, she was in it once and never used it again. Never needed a changing table.

I used my Moby wrap all the time!! So look into a carrier.

dallascowboys82
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM
I had to have a pack and play. I had to many stiches to keep going up and down stairs
MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Bassinets are a waste of money. Do NOT buy a used car seat. A pack n play and a swing are usually must haves. you dont need a bouncy seat. A swaddle me was a lifesaver for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM
oh, and a boppy. We loved ours
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I used my car seat, stroller and a cradle. Clothes, blankets, diapers, butt cream, a sling to wear my baby, that was about it. I don't like too much stuff. More to clean.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)