Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

whats essential for a baby as far as gear?

Posted by   + Show Post
So im expecting a new baby soon and im trying to get everything i need. i already have a crib and ive picked out a 4 drawer chest i.want. im not trying to spend boocoodles.of money but im not trying to be a cheapskate either. do i NEED a changing table,pack and play,swing,bouncer,bassinet ect? i found a graco whitney travel system i like on sale or i found a used one for 75.just need insight.
Forgot to.add have a breastfeeding pillow already and im buying.a bumbo
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (31-40):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I second the Moby!! They are amazing!!!

The Bumbo is not a need - they are actually kinda pointless.

A swig and bouncer are only needed if you ever want to shower or pee again.

I would get a pack and play over a bassinet.

And I would just get a dresser you can add a changing pad to.

Quoting piwife:

A good baby carrier( like an ergo, moby, mei tai, ktan, bobba) not a crappy jeep or baby bjor. a swing and bouncy seat. If. You plan on nursing 2 -3 nursing tops. 2-3 nursing bras. Are you a working mom?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheLadyAmalthea
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Eh, bumbos aren't really essential. My MIL gave me one when I had my son. He HATED it! Not to mention he could wiggle himself out of it when he was 5 months old. That thing was just a waste of space. Don't worry about getting a diaper pail either. I learned after my first kid that those things are a waste of money. They don't get rid of the smell of poopy diapers. It is just as fast to take it to the trash outside. A changing table is helpful for a newborn, but after they start rolling around all crazy, I would start changing diapers on the floor. So you don't really need the changing table either. Swings or bouncers are great for when you need to take a break and get some stuff done. My kids loved the bouncer. I would them in the bouncer, put on the vibrate mode, and take a shower! I rarely used the pack and play we had. What was really helpful for me was an arms reach co-sleeper. I wanted my baby close to me at night so I could easily feed them. Didn't even get out of bed. My daughter used it for 5 months. But, if you don't need your baby in the room with you, you don't need the bassinet.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Quoting inspain:

No bumbo.  Those things are dangerous.

DD2 is 14 weeks and I haven't used the Bugaboo stroller my friends loaned me even once.  I'm just using carriers.  At first a Moby and now an Ergo and a Maya sling.  

We're also using a play-mat, a pack-n-play and a mobile moblie (I can clip it to anything).  She hates the swing and the bouncy chair.  

We've used Bum Genius diapers since she hit 8 lbs and we have a dresser/changing table.  I also have a Diaper Dude diaper bag.  

Otherwise, we have yet to use the crib (it's DD1's old one) and I only use the carrier/carseat when we ride in the car.  I never take it out.

Oh and this whole breastfeeding ride has been made easier by a My Breast Friend feeding pillow.

I have no plans of dealing with the stroller until I can't carry her comfortably anymore.

Yes! I loved My Breast Friend pillow! It snapped around the waist and I could even get up and move while breastfeeding my daughter. I had a 2 year old to look after and couldn't sit down for long. I used a boppy with my son. I hated that thing. He always slid down between me and the pillow. Never happed with the Breast Friend.

mistie900
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:19 AM
My must have was a pack and play. I used it a lot. And the one I had come with a changing table attached.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rrs256
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:20 AM

With my son I have a pack and play (which you will need when you visit friends, family, etc) buy sheets for the pack and play. Definitely need a car seat (get the one with the seat and the stroller) I have a bouncer which I used everyday for like 4 months. I had a bassinet with wheels with was definitely a life saver. I just rolled it where ever I was and was able to have him next to me. I also have a Mobil that he uses still. Lots of musical toys.

My son does not like the swing so I don't use that for him. I don't have a changing table honestly I just change him where ever I am. I just lay a blanket underneath him and change him. Do not go overboard with buying the newborndiapers bc you won't know how big the baby will come out pds wise, how fast he/she will grow, etc.

I don't know if they have it by you but if you do it's called once upon a child and they have second hand baby stuff like strollers, high chairs, bouncers, etc (they do not sell anything that has been recalled which is nice).

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Well we stuck to the very basics with only one exception, a youth chair. We did not get a crib since we chose to have a family bed. We didn't get any other baby or nursery furniture either and never felt its lack. We of course had a car seat as required by law and got a decent stroller and a Tripp Trapp youth chair which in its adult configuration my twenty-two-year old still uses as a desk chair. I exclusively breastfed and did not feel the need for any backup feeding so didn't have any bottles or a pump. Really beyond mama, baby, diapers, and some clothing you don't "need" much else.

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Pack n Play, bouncer, swing (was my life saver), car seat, stroller, high chair. 

needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
You already have an older child. Don't you kind of have a clue from that what you would need?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Unless you think you'll be traveling or your LO will be sleeping at other places, it isn't really necessary to have both a pack n play and a bassinet.  You can technically get by with one or the other.  Also, we had a bumbo but never used it much.  It's definitely not essential.  We had a swing, but no bouncy seat thing.  It's nice to have both, but absolutely not a  necessity.  I would definitely do Craigslist or other used venues for some things if you're comfortable with that.  Babies use some of these things so briefly, it's a shame to spend a ton of money on items that are literally only used a matter of months. 

EsmeVincent
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Don't buy the travel system used...the infant seat(car seats) should never be bought used. Our changing table is the dresser...I have the pad in top and once its no longer needed I remove the pad and its just a dresser. I used the swing with both kids, Ds loved it but dd hates it. The bouncer we used a lot, I would say get one of those. with Ds we used the pack n play as his bed in our room next to the bed for the first month and with dd we used a used bassinet next to our bed for the first 3months so really with that it depends. Bfing... I would get a pump and a few bottles(just in case you get sick or something after baby is latching well and someone else needs to give baby a bottle. I got a pump that uses 4 AA batteries so I can pump on the go(it fits in my diaper bag). Also you will want a good nursing bra for the day and a good one for night...a few nursing tops also...and if you are shy like me you might want a nursing cover(I love mine).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN