Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

whats essential for a baby as far as gear?

Posted by   + Show Post
So im expecting a new baby soon and im trying to get everything i need. i already have a crib and ive picked out a 4 drawer chest i.want. im not trying to spend boocoodles.of money but im not trying to be a cheapskate either. do i NEED a changing table,pack and play,swing,bouncer,bassinet ect? i found a graco whitney travel system i like on sale or i found a used one for 75.just need insight.
Forgot to.add have a breastfeeding pillow already and im buying.a bumbo
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (41-45):
momofsunshine77
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I did not use a changing table, pack and play is great if you need to go anywhere.  I did not use a bassinet.  bouncy seat is useful.  I had a swing and used it but not often. 

The one thing I was glad to have - I think you have it already - is the boppy.  Would not have gone without it.  LOL

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM
All you NEED is clothes, food, blankets, and diapers.

But I recommend a swing and bassinet over anything else that isn't necessary.

There will be plenty of time to use the crib later, but you may find it easier to be up and down with the baby if it is right beside you.

I dunno if you are nursing or not, but I would get most of the nights sleep nursing (except the beginning stages of cluster feeding) compared to the 2 hours of sleep and all night era of struggling to out the baby to sleep with bottles
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM

We don't have a changing table, pack and play, swing, bouncer, or bassinet, and we get by just fine. We will probably get a pack and play and bouncer when he's a little older and is more mobile, but still needs to be contained, but they aren't needed for a newborn. We change him on a blanket, we rock him if he wants to swing, and he sleeps in his crib. Also, wouldn't buy a used travel system. A used stroller is okay, but car seats are one of the things that need to be bought new because if you don't know their history, they might not be safe.

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM
And I never used a changing table. I just changed then in any old place. But if you are worried about messes, just lay a blanket or towel under them.

Never used pack n play, but it can be useful
proudMom2634
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Rocking chair and a carrier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)