Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Your kids are socially inept fatties, who you're too busy to spend time with...

Posted by   + Show Post

Dontcha know if you allow your children to have electronic devices they will become socially inept, obese, mindless zombies?!?!?  Yeah, that's right.  In Moronland there is no such thing. Moderation or middle of the road do not exist...it's all one extreme or the other. 

My kids have every electronic device known to man, literally....My 2 year old even has her own iPad.  Does this mean that my kids spend every waking minute glued to a screen?  Uh, not hardly.  My kids would prefer to be outside, at the park, swimming or running around.  They are both very active and involved in extracurricular activities that involve physical activity and socialization.

The problem is not electronic devices, the problem is overall shitty parenting.  Just because a kid has an iPad, laptop or iPod doesn't mean that's the only thing they interact with.  I'm about to tell you something completely earth shattering...get ready for it...it is totally possibly or an electronics owning child to have a close relationship with his/her parents.  It is totally possible for that child to spend time playing with other children, playing with Legos and puzzles and doing crafts with mom.

So, if you're able to step outside of your bubble of ignorance, you may just see that the "problem" is overall shitty parenting.  Parents who have no time for their children.  When you see my 2 year old using her iPad in a restaurant, it's not because I'm being lazy, it's not because my 2 year old has an internet addiction.  It's because she's autistic and has sensory issues, when things get loud and busy, she gets over stimulated, the iPad helps her zone in and focus on one thing.  

Just to add, I do think it's funny when people bitch about the evils of electronics all while they're using said electronic to post to strangers on an online message forum. 

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Replies (41-50):
mommyslate
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Well I guess I don't see the point in spending all that money on electronic devices if my kid is always outside. Not that we can't that just would be silly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Not true if the program or game involves faces. It's better to see no face than a face that isn't responding properly. A mother doing dishes, at least in my case, still talks and interacts with the baby.
Babies and toddlers really need talking and facial expression to be a natural reaction or no reaction at all, like a book or non electronic toy would give.
Lets say your baby gives you a confused or blank look, what do you do? Go slow and try again. The tv just moves on. Now your child doesn't realize his face sends a message.

Quoting Paperfishies:

This would hold true for ANY activity a toddler does alone. When a mom is in the kitchen doing dishes and her 3 year old is sitting in the floor looking at a book by himself, there is no social interaction at that point in time. So looking at a book on a tablet or not makes no difference as far as facial expressions and social interaction.

You're assuming that a toddler who is using an electronic device spends more time alone with said device than interacting with those around them and experiencing their environment and that isn't the case with most families I know.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Once again i will post something that is really beyond the comprehension of most here but a few smarter moms will comprehend.

Babies and toddlers learn proper socialization from the give and take with facial expression. They frown, you respond. They laugh and you respond. Any amount of screen time interferes with that process. If you are not present giving them appropriate responses while they play or watch the screen it can exasperate any issues like autism or stunt socialization of a perfectly normal child. Pretty basic and obvious but beyond the many moms who will argue with this.

My kids do have electronics..... But not till 5 and in moderation.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
inspain
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Why all the arguing?  In the end, half of us are going to turn out socially well-adjusted, intelligent, productive and upstanding members of society and the other half of us are going to be happy if we can just keep 'em out of prison or off the pole.  And of each group, half of them will have had iPads at age 2 and been glued to video games and the other half will have spent all their time playing with wooden toys in the great outdoors.

Not one of us has the only sure recipe to making a good human, so get over it.

Oh and just to add my position:  I'm all for electronic doo-dads, especially in airports, planes, trains and automobiles and doctor's offices and, let's not forget 5am, when I'd rather sleep than play "twenty questions", etc.  

AMBG825
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

what really amusing is that Bill Gates just did an interview where he admitted his kids didn't have all the electronic gadgets. They don't even  have IPods according to him.

Quoting norwgnwood:

Lol tell that to Bill Gates' mama!

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol@bill gates' kids having iPods.

Bill gates and iPod don't go in the same sentence.

Quoting AMBG825:

what really amusing is that Bill Gates just did an interview where he admitted his kids didn't have all the electronic gadgets. They don't even  have IPods according to him.

Quoting norwgnwood:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norwgnwood
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM
He also doesn't just give them money and buy them whatever they want. And I'm pretty sure they don't get the fortune when he dies. Very smart man.

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting norwgnwood:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I agree.  One downside to all the obesity awareness measures (which are mostly necessary) is that people nowadays can't seem to separate in their minds the difference between moderate amounts of sedentary activity from all day, many hours a day of sedentary activity. 

My BIL Is  a big culprit of this. Last time he visited he saw my kids watch one tv show and made a snarky remark about it.  But he apparently had memory issues and paid  no attention to the fact that prior to watching said show they had been playing outside in the yard for over 2 hours straight.   Moderation people, moderation. 

spunky946
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I agree.

CJsMommy622
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
When people make comments about my kids using electronics, I say "my 7yr old can build a a computer, was reading at 18months, and doing 300pc puzzles at 3. What does your kid do?" That usually shuts them up. I'm hardly worried about electronics used in moderation. We go outside everyday, play board games daily, read books every night, and both are happy/ healthy/ active and physically fit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

yep very smart man... not that he's going to leave them broke... I think I read he plans to leave them 5 million each.
enough to be wealthy not enough to never have to think about money

Quoting norwgnwood:

He also doesn't just give them money and buy them whatever they want. And I'm pretty sure they don't get the fortune when he dies. Very smart man.

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting norwgnwood:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)