Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Your kids are socially inept fatties, who you're too busy to spend time with...

Posted by   + Show Post

Dontcha know if you allow your children to have electronic devices they will become socially inept, obese, mindless zombies?!?!?  Yeah, that's right.  In Moronland there is no such thing. Moderation or middle of the road do not exist...it's all one extreme or the other. 

My kids have every electronic device known to man, literally....My 2 year old even has her own iPad.  Does this mean that my kids spend every waking minute glued to a screen?  Uh, not hardly.  My kids would prefer to be outside, at the park, swimming or running around.  They are both very active and involved in extracurricular activities that involve physical activity and socialization.

The problem is not electronic devices, the problem is overall shitty parenting.  Just because a kid has an iPad, laptop or iPod doesn't mean that's the only thing they interact with.  I'm about to tell you something completely earth shattering...get ready for it...it is totally possibly or an electronics owning child to have a close relationship with his/her parents.  It is totally possible for that child to spend time playing with other children, playing with Legos and puzzles and doing crafts with mom.

So, if you're able to step outside of your bubble of ignorance, you may just see that the "problem" is overall shitty parenting.  Parents who have no time for their children.  When you see my 2 year old using her iPad in a restaurant, it's not because I'm being lazy, it's not because my 2 year old has an internet addiction.  It's because she's autistic and has sensory issues, when things get loud and busy, she gets over stimulated, the iPad helps her zone in and focus on one thing.  

Just to add, I do think it's funny when people bitch about the evils of electronics all while they're using said electronic to post to strangers on an online message forum. 

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Replies (61-66):
Paperfishies
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM

We do all of that to...as do most families I know.

Quoting andersongirl562:

Meh...we don't allow our kids to take expensive electronics in public :) instead we converse with them, color with them or play games with them.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Very well said. 

Hope you didn't actually kill whoever pissed you off enough to post this, though. I wouldn't want you to have to clean up that kind of a mess, and wouldn't want you to get in trouble. :)

I agree with you. I have been thinking of getting my son one of those pads. I might just settle for a portable dvd player, as I think that would probably work better for him. He isn't even interested in the computer that I use. Only the keyboard, and then only to keep pushing buttons because of the texture thing. He has no interest to find out what pushing those buttons does other than the texture stimulation he gets from it. 

The world will not change that radically overnight. It takes forever for anything to change. Then people wonder how it changed so fast. 

I think we, as parents, are doing really good when we don't allow the world to change us.

wedding countdown

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM
So agree!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ausomezombie2.0
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting inspain:

Alright, lady, let's hear it, who pissed you off?  

(I totally agree with you, btw.)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Meh, half the parents on this site will have kids who absolutely are socially inept and or "fatties". And many of those parents will be people who really weren't "shitty" parents. They will be people who "thought" they were actually doing well by their kids. 

RevivingOphelia
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM
My FIL went to Harvard, and lived in the same dorm as Bill Gates... Apparently he never went to class and dropped out before they could kick him out. Lol.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Pfft.  Bill Gates is a socially awkward, fat computer nerd with no life, no friends and...oh wait, never mind. :)

Quoting norwgnwood:

Lol tell that to Bill Gates' mama!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN