Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My mom is harrassing me to get the flu shot.

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 46 Replies
So I have been sick since wed,and now dd has a low grade fever. I have to admit I feel like shit,so mom is telling me." See if u had gotten the flu shot,you wouldn't feel so bad now" and that I should get it for dd too. Why can't people understand that some of us just don't believe in putting that into our systems. I wish I didn't feel so bad and I'm praying dd has a virus and not the flu but I still wouldn't get the flu shot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kitty8199
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Get a package insert highlight all the bad stuff and tell her to read and shut up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Getting the flu shot does not guarantee that you will not get the flu.  The shot is based on last years strain not any possible new ones.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
That's obnoxious! We didn't get the flu shot and dh and I both got it but DD didn't. People should mind their business when it comes to vaxes
EAzizM
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM
2 moms liked this
The one time I got the flu shot I got very ill...never again. My body will handle things on its own if I get sick. I don't need those chemicals in my body.
Refurbished
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I've gotten the flu shot once, and I didn't have another cold or flu for 2 years afterward.  However, I know someone (who is elderly) who ended up hospitalized after taking the shot, so I stopped getting it.  I tend to believe that it is generally helpful but can be risky in a small percentage of people.  Only you can really decide if you want to take the risk. 

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Well she got the flu after taking the shot and now swears that she is immune to the flu again.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Getting the flu shot does not guarantee that you will not get the flu.  The shot is based on last years strain not any possible new ones.

idareyou
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM

My sister's the same way. I posted on facebook that DD was sick and she responded with "well she wouldn't be if you got your flu shots!". Ugh. No way, no how, no flu shots for us! Thankfully my parents are on my side, just wish they'd tell my sister to back off too.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

the flu is a virus...and it only protects against a few of the main strains, you can still get the other strains even if you're vaccinated

i didn't get one either, no one in our house has gotten one

doulala
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Just say yah, okay, thanks.
She might think you'll get it (even though you won't).  No more need to talk about it...

mandee1503
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM

My grandma is the same way. She keeps harping on us to get it done. I don't want it, and why at 28, do I not have the ability to decide that? UGH!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN