Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Downstairs neighbor smokes pot, and MY apt smells like a dead skunk!

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM
  • 37 Replies
Do I have justification to break the lease? My apt stinks like potent mary jane. It's embarrassing to have family over because of it. I'm afraid to call the cops because the neighbor will know it was me who made the call, and could have me injured or worse (I live in a bad neighborhood).

Any advice?

ETA: I just moved in two weeks ago. I didn't notice the smell until just a few days ago.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM
If you are unwilling to call the police, then you have no case to break your lease. You need something on record that this is a problem.
xXSoSincereXx
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
you get a free contact
Fallaya
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM
What's that?

Quoting xXSoSincereXx:

you get a free contact

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM

You have to contact police at least about the '" off "' smell in your apartment and let them figure out it is the neighbors.  Dead skunk almost seems like meth, not pot, which is more dangerous to live around.  Have you contacted your landlord yet about it ?

firemouse23
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I would talk to the landlord and put the bug in their ear.  Maybe they have another apartment you can move to and if not then you need to decide whether to call the police, or go to walmart and buy a smoke eater candle to neutralize the smell and deal with it.  You can't just break the lease without something documented and making an attempt to change things.

gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I wouldn't rock the boat if you live in a bad neighborhood and don't want any backlash.  What about air fresheners?  Wallflowers?  I'm sure those would help.  Don't put yourself at risk over this if you think you might be by saying something.  How much longer til your lease is up?

babie113
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM
There's a type of pot called skunk because it smells just like a dead skunk ....fyi ..no I don't do pot

Quoting frndlyfn:

You have to contact police at least about the '" off "' smell in your apartment and let them figure out it is the neighbors.  Dead skunk almost seems like meth, not pot, which is more dangerous to live around.  Have you contacted your landlord yet about it ?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I would contact the landlord and he can say he dropped by and smelled it himself without getting you involved. You need to have record of contacting the landlord and if he does nothing about it, then you will make a better case in the event that you break the lease. Not guaranteed that that will get you out of it, but you can't just move out without giving the landlord a chance to rectify the matter.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt presume you did.  It is good though to know about all the different stuff out there.  I dont think DS hit our area yet at least not our complex.

Quoting babie113:

There's a type of pot called skunk because it smells just like a dead skunk ....fyi ..no I don't do pot

Quoting frndlyfn:

Aislinn
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

How long is your lease? Have you spoken to the landlord and did it/will it fall on deaf ears?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN