Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

im curious bc my stbxfil is in declining health and he really wants dd baptized (he wants to be there) and i see nothing wrong with it. i believe there is a higher power but i dont go to church or anything... but he would be so happy to see her baptized and i want to do this for him.... but i have no clue how to even go about this... dd is 2.5 going to be 3.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
momma4vr
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Quoting Paperfishies:

Shouldn't this be your daughters decision?

i was baptized as a kid.... doesnt affect me today. but her grandfather is in declining health and this would make him very happy. i love my stbx in laws and will do this as a final request before they pass. (not saying they are that close to death but they both have been seeing a rapid decline in their health lately and it scares us all)

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM
My church wouldn't allow that. Thank goodness! It's a pledge to god that you will bring the child up in the church. I'd hate to waste part of my Sunday watching some family lie to god. Do you make a mockery of other faiths or just christans?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Go to your local church and tell them that you would like to get her baptized and they will go through the steps with you. It won't take very long to get everything arranged. They will do a service for her on one of the following sundays and baptise her. You said you were Lutheran, so heres a pdf on Luthern baptism. The Lutheran Church isn't very strict about baptism and won't refuse because you don't regularly go to Church or if you are unbaptised yourself.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:vO7Zd4vkPkUJ:www.lcms.org/Document.fdoc?src%3Dlcm%26id%3D537+lutheran+baptism&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESi1NWLh2xlfVrZzcRQWwVzCDPMdv2dz6jDJkoP5p-c_-J1gOcuEv3ojS3jwzlGfEzINzR2KflrWg-7pR220l4oE8D-0WCb5eyeje8C2Kw4fqJj7b3XAwHz6oPe2Yny0_T0dLDz6&sig=AHIEtbTXFbtDToK_ZKz-4U05BKIJge1i_A

gcstar42
by Shara on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I think it would depend on the church. I am baptist and we do not do baptisms until after a person is saved. This means the person has to be capable of understanding what that means and of making the decision themselves, so it does not happen at such a young age as your daughter. I believe there are many denominations who do baptize small children though. I am just not really sure which ones they are.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM

sorry I'm no help our church does baptizims when the child understands and asks for it... when we do we baptize in Jesus name

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Quoting NDADanceMom:

My church wouldn't allow that. Thank goodness! It's a pledge to god that you will bring the child up in the church. I'd hate to waste part of my Sunday watching some family lie to god. Do you make a mockery of other faiths or just christans?

It's not a mockary of the faith, just because she isn't active in the Church doesn't mean her daughter won't be and won't grow up to be in the Church. It's a pledge to God that that child will know about God and will be a member of that church, not that their parents have to be active and go every Sunday, and its something important to the Grandfather, that his grandchild is a part of the Church.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
While I don't agree with the baptism of children, because I think it is a disgrace to force religion on children...

I don't really believe her intentions are bad, just ignorant.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Definitely talk to your local lutheran churches to find out how to go about it.   I was baptised about that age I think or as an infant.  Obviously I can not remember since i was little.

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:01 AM
She should look at the vows then. Each church is different and mine expects parents or godparents to get the kid to church regularly. I'd find it offensive if someone was doing it to appease someone rather than making a meaningful pledge.
I don't care what faith or lack of someone has but don't come to my church because its pretty or it makes you look good to others. It is a holy place for those of us that believe.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

It's not a mockary of the faith, just because she isn't active in the Church doesn't mean her daughter won't be and won't grow up to be in the Church. It's a pledge to God that that child will know about God and will be a member of that church, not that their parents have to be active and go every Sunday, and its something important to the Grandfather, that his grandchild is a part of the Church.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SissyAnn141
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Please read ACTS 2: 37--40.

There are many more example in the book of ACTS.

Please contact me personal, with anymore questions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)