Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

im curious bc my stbxfil is in declining health and he really wants dd baptized (he wants to be there) and i see nothing wrong with it. i believe there is a higher power but i dont go to church or anything... but he would be so happy to see her baptized and i want to do this for him.... but i have no clue how to even go about this... dd is 2.5 going to be 3.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Replies (31-35):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I'm Jewish, DH was raised Protestant. DS had a bris and DD had a Simchat Bat and both were baptized Lutheran because we happened to like this one church and the Pastor very much (sadly he recently left). They were very welcoming of our family and although we don't attend regularly, they continue to welcome us each time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM

She's not going to your Church, she's going to her father in law's, and Lutheran Churches really don't expect you to bring the kid every week to mass if you get them baptized. 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

She should look at the vows then. Each church is different and mine expects parents or godparents to get the kid to church regularly. I'd find it offensive if someone was doing it to appease someone rather than making a meaningful pledge.
I don't care what faith or lack of someone has but don't come to my church because its pretty or it makes you look good to others. It is a holy place for those of us that believe.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

My church wouldn't allow that. Thank goodness! It's a pledge to god that you will bring the child up in the church. I'd hate to waste part of my Sunday watching some family lie to god. Do you make a mockery of other faiths or just christans?

It's not a mockary of the faith, just because she isn't active in the Church doesn't mean her daughter won't be and won't grow up to be in the Church. It's a pledge to God that that child will know about God and will be a member of that church, not that their parents have to be active and go every Sunday, and its something important to the Grandfather, that his grandchild is a part of the Church.

MetallicaGurl
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM

go to hell...oh wait, ur already on your way aren't you

Quoting XJetX:

Not sure why you're telling me this when it doesn't affect me any. Go whine about what pisses you off to someone who cares, I'm going to sleep.

Quoting MetallicaGurl:

stupid ignorant people piss me off....

Quoting XJetX:

With water and a liar.

wulfeyes05
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Some guy in a robe dips you under water...depending on the religion.

XJetX
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Wow, 3 weeks later... 3 fucking weeks to come up with something to say and that's it? You tell me I'm on my way to 'hell'. Let me tell you something, dear, I don't believe in 'hell'. So go take your nescient, feckless self down to the store to buy some Charmin and wipe that bullshit from the corner of your mouth.

Quoting MetallicaGurl:

go to hell...oh wait, ur already on your way aren't you

Quoting XJetX:

Not sure why you're telling me this when it doesn't affect me any. Go whine about what pisses you off to someone who cares, I'm going to sleep.

Quoting MetallicaGurl:

stupid ignorant people piss me off....

Quoting XJetX:

With water and a liar.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)