Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Tax return and refund question?????

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 3 Replies

I Know with the EIC ppl get can more money  back then they paid in.  i get that, but how is it possible for someone to claim they made $12,000 for the year and get a refund (not sure if you can call it that) of $7000.  I know they have 4 kids but at least one is over the age of 18 and then there is the 17, and 16 year old plus a 10 year old.   Is there a way to do that legally?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
firehorse13
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM

My sister just called and had me run a calculator for her.  She made just over $12k (got divorced and got a job in June or so), only paid $50 or so in federal taxes and should get back about $6500.  She's just claiming her 2 boys.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Quoting firehorse13:

My sister just called and had me run a calculator for her.  She made just over $12k (got divorced and got a job in June or so), only paid $50 or so in federal taxes and should get back about $6500.  She's just claiming her 2 boys.

wow I guess it is possible.   i only know about this persons private info cause he was telling Dh we should use his Tax person.  

PestPatti
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM

AS long as the qualifications are met, its legal.  IF I'm not mistaken you can claim your children up to age 24, as long as you meet the guidelines.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)